Options

SQL History feature request

I would like to request a couple features for SQL History:

1. Keyboard shortcut to open the window. Tab History had a handy keyboard shortcut that made it dead simple to open it.
2. Related to #1: Put cursor in the search box when opening the window. Tab History did this and you could just start typing. 
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    Rob_IQRob_IQ Posts: 17 Bronze 5
    yes please add a shortcut - i don't think there is one yet (that I could find).
  • Options
    JoelgJoelg Posts: 9 Bronze 1
    Agree with Jeppe on point 2
    Previous version of SQL History had this feature so the current version has a "breaking change" to the worse.
  • Options
    Hi All

You can add your feature request votes to our SQL Prompt UserVoice forum:
    https://redgate.uservoice.com/forums/94413-sql-prompt 
    Kind regards

Victoria Wiseman | Redgate Software
    Have you visited our Help Center?
  • Options
    jeppejeppe Posts: 5 Bronze 1
    I've added my ideas there if anyone wants to vote on them.
  • Options
    Keyboard Shortcut now exists! Ctrl-Shift-X

Also, you can put the cursor in the search field with Ctrl-F.
  • Options
    jeppe said:
    Keyboard Shortcut now exists! Ctrl-Shift-X

Also, you can put the cursor in the search field with Ctrl-F.
    Just curious, can that shortcut be remapped or is it hardcoded to Crtl-Shift-X for now?
  • Options
    Seems to be hard coded. They updated my "Idea" in the UserVoice forum to let me know about the shortcut. SQL Prompt has some custom shortcuts you can change in SSMS generally via Tools -> Options -> Environment -> Keyboard (I just search sqlprompt), but this is not one of them.
  • Options
    Thanks for the info!
    Being hard coded makes me think they rushed this one out  `,`
    I'll consider trying the new version again despite having other functional issues with SQL History as a replacement for Tab History.
    Maybe it will grow on me now that there is at least a shortcut. Wish they would allow both to coexist for a while...
  • Options
    edited February 13, 2023 4:54PM
    Update - Ctrl-F now works but it was after I hid the SQL history window and showed it again with the keyboard. On first creating the window, it did not work.
    Its weird that putting the cursor in the search box hides all the SQL history that shows when opening the window initially.

I finally installed .13 to try it again.
    Ctrl-Shift-X does open it now.
    However, Ctrl-F just opens the normal Find box when the SQL History page is forcused Does Ctrl-F still work for you? That is the default mapping for Ctrl-F and I use that feature often too so don't really want to change that.
    Also, I can ctrl-tab into SQL History but not out of it. Once there, the only way out that I can see is to use the mouse.
    Hitting Ctrl-F4 does not close SQL history but will close SQL tabs behind it. Would be nice if it closed via ESC so it works more like a popup and not a tool window but I Ctrl-F4 would be ok too...
    This feature still requires frequent use of the mouse which really slows things for me - I primarily navigate via keyboard in SSMS and VS and this gets in the way of that :angry: