SQL Compare does not log in SQL Server

Hi RedGate Team,

currently I've a problem with SQL Compare. The following error message is thrown, when I try to connect to any of our SQL Server:

A connection was successfully established with the server, but then an error occurred during the login process. (provider: SSL Provider, error: 0 -The certificate chain was issued by an untrusted certificate authority.)

Other products like SQL Data Compare work fine with our SQL Servers. Please help!

Kind regards,

Mario

Answers

• Hi Mario,

Looking at the error message that you are receiving you have a few options:

• disable encryption in your connection string ;encrypt=false
    • allow trust of the cert in your connection string ;trustServerCertificate=true

SQL Compare now encrypts connections to SQL Server by default Previously, connections would have been encrypted according to the server's Force Encryption setting. This change came about in 14.8.0.21190.
  • MarioMario Posts: 10 Bronze 1
    Hi Ben,

thank you for your help. But I have a quick additional question... where should I edit the connection string? In the SQL Compare Tool?

Kind regards,
    Mario
  • MarioMario Posts: 10 Bronze 1
    Hi Again,

got it! 

Thanks!

Kind regards,

Mario

• Hi Mario,

Glad to hear you got that sorted. 

Also just to let you know, the dev team are working on an update for this process so that there are options in the UI to enable/disable encryption.