Options

Is connecting using MFA not supported by VS 2022 SCA plugin?

I have downloaded the SCA plugin recently to try and use in a VS 2022 project. Our Azure tenant is configured to only authenticate using multi-factor authentication (MFA). When I  try and connect using "Active Directory Interactive Authentication" authentication (I'm assuming this is the MFA option) and click the "Test Connection" button, it comes back with "Test connection succeeded", but then when I click OK to actually connect and continue setting up the project, it exceptions out with a "The Authentication Method ActiveDirectoryInteractive is not yet supported." error message on the stack. So this type of authentication is not supported by the plugin? If not, is there an ETA when it will be?

Here is the full error message stack for reference:

SQL Change Automation encountered an error.

Message = The Authentication Method ActiveDirectoryInteractive is not yet supported.

Data = System.Collections.ListDictionaryInternal

InnerException =

TargetSite = RedGate.Versioning.Engine.Shared.DatabaseUtils.Authentication.IAuthenticationProperties Parse(System.String)

StackTrace =    at RedGate.Versioning.Engine.Shared.DatabaseUtils.SqlServer.Authentication.ConnectionStringAuthenticationParser.Parse(String connectionString)

at RedGate.Versioning.Engine.Shared.DatabaseUtils.SqlServer.Connection.ConnectionStringParser.ParseConnectionString(String connectionString)

at RedGate.Versioning.Client.VsShell.VisualStudio.Dialogs.GettingStartedWizardDialogs.GettingStartedWizardStore.IsDevSameAsTarget()

at RedGate.Versioning.Client.VsShell.VisualStudio.Dialogs.GettingStartedWizardDialogs.DatabaseConnections.DatabaseCard.DatabaseCardViewModel.DetermineDatabaseConnectionStateWhenSet()

at RedGate.Versioning.Client.VsShell.VisualStudio.Dialogs.GettingStartedWizardDialogs.DatabaseConnections.DatabaseCard.DatabaseCardViewModel.<SetDatabase>d__57.MoveNext()

--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---

at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()

at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)

at RedGate.Versioning.Client.VsShell.VisualStudio.Dialogs.GettingStartedWizardDialogs.DatabaseConnections.DatabaseCard.DatabaseCardViewModel.<SetDatabase>d__56.MoveNext()

--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---

at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()

at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)

at RedGate.Versioning.Client.VsShell.VisualStudio.Threading.TaskRunner.<>c__DisplayClass12_0.<<FileAndForget>b__0>d.MoveNext()

HelpLink =

Source = RedGate.Versioning.Engine.Shared.DatabaseUtils.SqlServer

HResult = -2146233088

Best Answer

• Options
    Kurt_MKurt_M Posts: 178 Silver 1
    Hi @JohnnyO

Unfortunately, SQL Change Automation does not support MFA at this current stage. I do know that it has been raised as something to be added, but at this stage, we don't have any ETA on when that might be implemented.

Kind regards,

Kurt McCormick
    Product Support Engineer, Redgate

Need help? Take a look at our Help Center