Options

SQL Formatting for Columns to appear on separate lines

vjacob1vjacob1 Posts: 57 Bronze 1
My SQL Prompt is showing all the columns on one line when I expand from SELECT *
What is the formatting option so that the columns appear on separate lines and also the columns have the alias in them
Tagged:

Best Answer

• Options
    Jon_KirkwoodJon_Kirkwood Posts: 341 Silver 4

Hi @vjacob1

Thank you for reaching out on the Redgate forums regarding your SQL Prompt question.

I believe there are a couple of settings you may want to set to get this working.

When you are editing your style (SQL Prompt > Active Styles > Edit Active Style)

In the Global > Lists menu there are two options for List items

• Place first item on new line
    • Place subsequent items on new lines

Enabling these settings should put your columns on separate lines when expanding the wild card

Then in the SQL Prompts options (SQL Prompt > Options > Inserted Code > Aliases

Enable Assign Aliases

This will enable aliases when you enter tables/objects and also when you format code.

This should then turn the statement below into a formatted and expanded block of code

Is this the type of functionality you are trying to achieve?

Jon Kirkwood | Technical Support Engineer | Redgate Software

Answers

• Options
    vjacob1vjacob1 Posts: 57 Bronze 1
    @Jon_Kirkwood
    Yes that is exactly what I was trying to do.
    I just noticed that sometimes it was putting all columns on the same line - I am not sure if it was my settings but I reset everything and went back in and now it is doing the right behavior.
    I thought there was some other formatting tweaks that I would need to add.

Thanks!!!!
  • Options
    Excellent, glad to have been of help and that it was a simple fix for your code formatting
    Jon Kirkwood | Technical Support Engineer | Redgate Software