How do you use cloud databases? Take the survey.
Options

Just upgraded to version 12.1.6, and noticed that the query plan ID was removed from query details

Is this intentional? I'm referring to IDs that look like this "0x06000500f718910c50d2c6ec3002000001000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000"

Could it have been moved somewhere?

This was a very useful piece of data for our company. Sometimes we would notice through your tool that a query was running poorly due to a bad plan, and this was a convenient spot to get the ID in order to removed that bad plan.

Best Answers

• Options
    Alex BAlex B Posts: 1,137 Diamond 4
    Hi @DigitalFleet,

I will definitely feed that back to the team, I imagine it wouldn't be hard to revert the change and reformat it to be "here's the query plan" rather than "here's some T-SQL to get the query plan". 

I'll let you know what the team says.

Kind regards,
    Alex
    Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software

Have you visited our Help Center?
  • Options

Hi @DigitalFleet,

The team have made a change that will now display the Query Plan handle in line with other information at the top of the Top Queries entry like this:

This is now available in the latest version.

Kind regards,
    Alex

Answers

• Options
    Hi @DigitalFleet,

The text with the query plan ID was legacy from before we captured the plan ourselves so you could get it yourself.  SQL Monitor captures this data for you and you can view it by clicking on the "View query plan" button below the query text:

When you click on that it will pop up a window displaying the query plan viewer, and also provides a download link (and the ability to view it in a separate tab).  If you download the query plan, it saves the file with the query plan ID:

I hope that helps!

Kind regards,
    Alex

• Options
    DigitalFleetDigitalFleet Posts: 3 New member
    Thanks for the response, and yes we had found it there and in the URL when you click "new tab".

I understand how it is a legacy holdover, but I have to say that I believe this is pretty valuable information in general. Obviously we have a specific use case, but anyone else monitoring their SQL servers who wants to do something concerning an execution plan (like forcing a recompile) could really use that ID. If you could consider including that information somewhere, it would be really appreciated. We don't need the select statement it was wrapped in, just the ID. I don't know if this is the proper spot to request features. If it isn't, I'd love a link to somewhere where I can.

Thanks
  • Options
    DigitalFleetDigitalFleet Posts: 3 New member
    @Alex B you all are the best. This is really appreciated. Thanks!