How do you use cloud databases? Take the survey.
Options

Can't upgrade to a newer version of SQL monitor

Hello,
We are currently on version 12.0.11.19926 and we are trying to upgrade to a newer version of SQL monitor 12.0.15.21593 but the installation crashed in the beginning with error 0xe0434352.
We have the same result when trying to install any newer version 12.0.12.20155; 12.0.13.20955; 12.0.14.21317; 12.0.15.21593. 

In the event log, we see two errors in the following order:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Event ID: 1026 
Source: .NET Runtime
SystemTime:  2022-02-02T10:04:49.177168000Z 

Application: RedGate.SqlMonitor.Install.UI.Web.exe
CoreCLR Version: 6.0.121.56705
.NET Version: 6.0.1
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: RedGate.SqlMonitor.Common.CredentialsManagement.Obfuscation.ObfuscationException
 ---> System.FormatException: The input is not a valid Base-64 string as it contains a non-base 64 character, more than two padding characters, or an illegal character among the padding characters.
   at System.Convert.FromBase64CharPtr(Char* inputPtr, Int32 inputLength)
   at System.Convert.FromBase64String(String s)
   at RedGate.SqlMonitor.Common.CredentialsManagement.Obfuscation.Obfuscator.Unobfuscate(String encrypted)
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at RedGate.SqlMonitor.Common.CredentialsManagement.Obfuscation.Obfuscator.Unobfuscate(String encrypted)
   at RedGate.SqlMonitor.Common.CredentialsManagement.Manager.CredentialManager.Read(String key)
   at RedGate.SqlMonitor.Install.Model.BaseOptions.LoadAccountFromCredentialManager(ICredentialManager credentialManager)
   at RedGate.SqlMonitor.Install.Model.BaseOptions.LoadFromRegistry(ResponseRegistry reg, CheckPortAvailability portAvailability, ICredentialManager credentialManager)
   at RedGate.SqlMonitor.Install.Model.WebInstall.LoadFromRegistry(ResponseRegistry reg, CheckPortAvailability portAvailability, ICredentialManager credentialManager)
   at RedGate.SqlMonitor.Install.UI.Web.WebInstaller..ctor(LifeCycle lifeCycle, ResourcePaths paths, ResponseRegistry registry, CheckPortAvailability portAvailability, IDatabaseOperations databaseOperations, ICredentialManager credentialManager)
   at RedGate.SqlMonitor.Install.UI.Web.Program.Main()

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Event ID: 1000
Source: Application Error
SystemTime:  2022-02-02T10:04:49.340211800Z 

Faulting application name: RedGate.SqlMonitor.Install.UI.Web.exe, version: 12.0.15.21593, time stamp: 0x61954b73
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.17763.2452, time stamp: 0xad1c2e55
Exception code: 0xe0434352
Fault offset: 0x0000000000039319
Faulting process id: 0x1de8
Faulting application start time: 0x01d8181c4cf70cae
Faulting application path: C:\Users\xxxxxxxxxxx\AppData\Local\Temp\{9E0BDA50-06CB-417F-818E-524CCC3F05F3}\RedGate.SqlMonitor.Install.UI.Web.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\System32\KERNELBASE.dll
Report Id: 546c508a-3cdf-4199-8444-f6045c29e15c
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 
Tagged:

Best Answer

• Options
    ArtyArty Posts: 4 New member
    I finally managed to update it to version 12.0.16.22039.
    I'm not sure, but maybe the problem was that the user with whom I previously started the installation has a dot in the name.
    I started the installation with the user who started the "SQL Monitor Base Monitor" service ( before that I made it a local admin and this user had no dot in his name) and the installation started. 

Answers

• Options
    Have just seen that I didn't submit this a year ago.... Sorry for the delay..

Just wanted to add to this - the error you were seeing here is because the credentials for the SQL Monitor installer user entry in the Credentials Manager (which is stored for the user who ran the installer) were manually updated, and so were in text, rather than obfuscated and base64 encoded.

And that is what the problem is, the installer is trying to decode the now plaintext password and getting the error.  By deleting the entry for the installer user, it would cause the installer to run successfully and prompt for the credentials again.  Also, by not updating the credentials, it should also ask you to re-enter them (and not error out in the first place).
    Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software

Have you visited our Help Center?