Options

in SSMS can i stop SCA generating migrations when i open the project

Currently when I open my SCA project in SSMS it starts by generating migrations my database has 1000's of object and this process can take a long time (more than 5 minutes).

I usually need to go to the version control and pull down the current version before i start generating migrations, to avoid merge conflicts (I have no interest in resolving later)

Is there a way to prevent SCA from generating migrations when i open the project ?

Thanks

Answers

• Options
    Hello @ozhug

Thanks for your query about SQL Change Automation. Unfortunately, there isn't a way to change this. By default, the SCA extension in SSMS will start to do a comparison to see what has changed. You don't need to generate the migration script. You should be able to click the other tabs though and move on from the 'generate migrations' tab. 

Kind regards, 

Pete Ruiz
    Product Support Engineer.

• Options
    ozhugozhug Posts: 5 Bronze 1
    edited December 21, 2021 1:24AM
    Hi Pete,

If switch tabs I still need to wait for the operation to complete 
    If I come back to the generation migration tab before it is done I get an error/warning/information

This operation is currently unavailable. There is already an operation in progress against a database required for this operation to run. Please wait for the other operation to complete and then refresh the page.

But there is no indication of how long I need to wait or when i should try the refresh again.
    This makes it pointless to switch tabs before the task is complete.

• Options
    Hello @ozhug

Are you using a local shadow database? Also, is the development database local also or are you connecting via remote?

Pete Ruiz
    Product Support Engineer

• Options
    ozhugozhug Posts: 5 Bronze 1
    edited February 2, 2022 9:33PM
    Hi Pete,
    We are using a local shadow database the dev database is a azure sql server (hyperscale).'

i understand there is a process working in the local shadow db, but for the sceptics I am trying to onboard with SCA  this is confusing and painfully. Given there is no feedback in the UI to tell them how long to wait or how much progress has been made.

Mark
  • Options

Is there any way to test with a local development database? Do you get the same results?

Also, is there anyway we can get a copy of the log files? We can continue communication through a Support ticket if that's better.

Kind regards,

Pete Ruiz

Product Support Engineer.