Options

Getting blank error message when trying to instal server components

I'm seeing the following empty dialogue box when attempting to install the client components:

Any idea how to get this working?

Answers

• Options

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out on the Redgate forums regarding this SQL Backup issue

Is this blank popup occurring all the time? or only when the server appears to be busy updating the process history?

If you can never upgrade using the GUI, please try the manual installation steps.  

In the SQL Backup folder, there is a file named SQBServerSetup.exe.  Please copy this file to the SQL Server instance, and run it there.  

This installer installs the SQL Backup server components (the SQL Backup Backup Agent service, the command-line interface, the SQL Backup extended stored procedures and the hosted storage client).

Hopefully, this solves your issue and gets the server components installed

Jon Kirkwood | Technical Support Engineer | Redgate Software
  • Options
    Yes, the blank popup occurs every time.
    I will try using the manual installation method.
  • Options
    jonesricjonesric Posts: 25 Bronze 1
    edited December 8, 2021 4:29PM
    Hi, not hijacking this thread but I am also experiencing the same issue on 1 particular server (other servers show the upgrade components window absolutely fine).  Just an FYI in case it's something more. Thanks.
  • Options
    @MuskieHunterDave
    Excellent, let me know how it goes with the manual method and if there are any further issues to assist with

@jonesric
    Thank you for the comment and for providing another instance of this concern. 
    If possible can you share any details on the troublesome server so I can provide it to our developers to see if there is a bigger concern?
    Is it a standalone server or cluster, OS Version (Serv 2003, 2008 etc)
  • Options
    jonesricjonesric Posts: 25 Bronze 1
    Hi @Jon_Kirkwood our example is a SQL 2017 RTM Enterprise Edition clustered instance hosted on 2 Windows Server 2012 Datacenter servers.

A manual upgrade as specified in the documentation was successful so we are now on 10.1.15
  • Options
    This is also occurring for me on a clustered instance hosted across 4 servers.  The SQL version is 2019.  The OS is Windows 2019 Standard.

The manual upgrade did work.
  • Options

Thank you for the details on both of your instances, glad that the manual process worked to solve your immediate concerns.

I will escalate this to our development team to investigate as a bug in the software to be potentially resolved in a future release of SQL Backup