How do you use cloud databases? Take the survey.
Options

Getting frequest SQL Authentication Failed alerts for one server

SQL Monitor 11.2.11.14502

Getting somewhat frequent (maybe hourly or so) Monitoring Stopped (SQL Server Authentication) alerts that go away within roughly a minute. This is only happening for one server.  How do I troubleshoot this? Do I need to open a support case? Seems odd that it "fails authentication" and then doesn't.  Tells me the error is perhaps not actually failed auth, but maybe a collector connection timeout?

Thank you,
-Peter

Tagged:

Answers

• Options
    Hi PeterDanielsCRB

Is this just on one instance you are experiencing this or on multiple? 
  • Options
    Thanks for replying, @ATurner. This was primarily one SQL Instance on one machine (on prem VMWare VM), but we did get a few for another VM on the same host. I was guessing it wasn't a SQL Monitor, issue but wanted to investigate multiple avenues and wanted to see what tools y'all might use for troubleshooting these particular network connectivity issues.

I should add that we experienced more than the "Monitoring Stopped (SQL Server Authentication)" alerts.  We also saw:

Monitoring error (host machine data collection)

Monitoring error (SQL Server data collection)

Machine unreachable

It is starting to look like we had some network saturation goin on when these errors occurred, so considering the errors  have not resurfaced since, I'm somewhat confident that was the issue.

However, I do think that the "Monitoring Stopped (SQL Server Authentication)" is not really appropriate. This would suggest that the monitor could connect, but actually failed authentication, so I would like the team to consider looking  into that.
  • Options
    Hi PeterDanielsCRB

Glad to hear that you have found the cause of the problem. Would have to take a look at the logs to investigate further