Options

REDGATE SUPPORT - My SQL Prompt no longer works - error during startup

mbraymbray Posts: 9 Bronze 1
edited October 20, 2021 4:51PM in SQL Prompt
Hi, earlier today I was using SSMS and it locked up while typing a SQL statement.  (This has happened on occasion in the past.)  However this time, after killing the SSMS process and restarting, I am receiving a pop-up error from SQL Prompt after SSMS loads.  The "Error details" box only says "Root element is missing".  As I try to use the statement completion in SSMS queries, nothing happens.  (The text I'm typing appears, but no completion occurs.)  However, the SQL Prompt menu does appear.  Selecting the options "Refresh Suggestions" and "Enable suggestions" seem to do nothing.  In fact, none of the menu options work, not even "Options" nor "Help / About".  (The menu itself appears to work, but clicking on any menu option produces no action at all.)  I have tried uninstalling / reinstalling SQL Prompt, but I get the same results.
Tagged:

Answers

• Options
    Tom_CTom_C Posts: 69 Bronze 4
    edited October 21, 2021 6:36PM

You may get the 'root element is missing' error message if some of the XML files from  %localappdata%\Red Gate\SQL Prompt 10 are corrupted.

To fix it, please try the following steps:

1. Remove the SQL Prompt 10 folder from %localappdata%\Red Gate\ and save it somewhere else

2. Reinstall SQL Prompt

3. If necessary, copy the custom style files and custom snippets over to the newly created SQL Prompt 10 folder respectively

If this doesn't resolve could you provide us with both version of SQL Prompt and SSMS you are using?

Kind regards

Tom Claringbold | Redgate Software
    Have you visited our Help Center?
  • Options
    mbraymbray Posts: 9 Bronze 1
    That did work.  In fact I didn't even have to make a backup of the folder - I could see that one of the xml files in that folder (RedGate_SQLPrompt_CommonUI_Options_UIOptions.xml) was empty.  I exited SSMS, renamed it to bak, started SSMS again and everything seems back to normal.  (RedGAte maybe should add some better error handling in this circumstance.)  Thanks!