Log Shipping - Network Shares

cfidoecfidoe Posts: 10
edited April 27, 2009 2:32PM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
I'm trying to set up a log shipping solution between a dev server in our domain and a production server hosted at a remote site.
I am able to connect to and contact the remote sql without any problem. I get to the network share step.. I created a share on the remote server granted the backup agent user full permissions and NTFS security rights... We are using sql authentication so browsing was disabled... I entered the path, but it said the folder does not exist. SO I enabled browsing through the registry.. I can get to the folder. and add it but then when I click the test button it still says CHECKING PERMISSIONS - Folder does not exist.. I tried adding EVERYONE as I thought it may be a permissions thing.. but that yielded the same results.

Any IDEAS guys?

Comments

• Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    Thank you for your post into the forum.

Can you please check and confirm the following:

1. On the remote machine where the network share is located. Right Click MyComputer and select manage.

2. Expand Shared Folders and select Shares.

3. Locate the share in question, right click and select properties.

4. Share Permissions Tab, Click Add and add the account given to the SQL Backup Agent Service with Full Control permissions.

5. Security Tab, Click Add and add the account given to the SQL Backup Agent Service with Full Control permissions.

6. Click OK

In my experience, it is normally the Share Permissions tab that is missing the permission settings.

You could also run the following query to ensure that the domain account has sufficient permissions on the network share:

EXECUTE master..sqbutility 999, 'RWE', '\\testsrv\backup'

Replace '\\testsrv\backup' with your network share details.

If this is successful and the agent as read (R), write (W), and execute (E) permissions, the query will return:

<SQBUTILITYRESULT>:1:

If there is a problem, the query will return a value of 0, followed by a message, for example:

<SQBUTILITYRESULT>:0:Folder does not exist : \\testsrv\backup

Further advice on backing up to a network share can be found in this pdf document:
    http://www.red-gate.com/products/SQL_Ba ... kShare.pdf

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com