Is Redgate Change Control going to replace SQL Change Automation

Hi,

First, is SQL Change Automation still in development?
Will it be replaced by Redgate Change Control?
If so, what will be the migration/upgrade path?

Regards,

Eric Lamontagne

Best Answer

• StephanieHerrStephanieHerr Posts: 176 Gold 1
    Hi Eric,

I'm the Product Manager for Database DevOps at Redgate.  I hope I can answer your questions.

First, is SQL Change Automation still in development?
    Yes.  SQL Change Automation is still in development.  We frequently release updates and fixes as noted at https://documentation.red-gate.com/sca/release-notes-and-other-versions/sql-server-management-studio-add-in-release-notes/sql-change-automation-ssms-4-3-release-notes.  We'll be looking into supporting Visual Studio 2022 soon.

Will it be replaced by Redgate Change Control?
    This is our long-term plan.  Redgate Change Control currently supports Oracle and a public preview is available for SQL Server.  There are some more details about this at https://forum.red-gate.com/discussion/88434/redgate-change-control-preview-available.  In 2022, we hope Redgate Change Control will support Postgres and MySQL as well.

Redgate Change Control is also architected to support multiple OSs (Windows, Linux, Mac) and will be available via Docker, which gives users more flexibility.

If so, what will be the migration/upgrade path?
    We're still working on this and still putting together the timeframe.  It might be 2022 or 2023.  It's hard to say at this point.  We hope to make the migration/upgrade path as seamless as possible.  WE'll be working more closely with users next year to start the plans around this. 

Even when the upgrade to Redgate Change Control for SQL Change Automation users is ready, we will still support any existing SQL Change Automation support contracts.  So, our current plans are that SQL Change Automation will continue to be supported for 3+ years as we make this transition.

I hope this helps.  If you have any more questions or would like to set up a time to talk, please let me know.

Can I ask you how you heard about Redgate Change Control?

Thanks!
    Stephanie Herr    :-)
    Thank you!
    Stephanie M. Herr    :-)
    Product Manager Database DevOps

Answers