Options

SQL Prompt is getting SLOW to load suggestions when I first USE a new db

slowslow Posts: 2 New member
I've been using SQL Prompt since it was invented, and can't imagine life without it.  

Recently, I've noticed that things are a LOT slower than usual.  Specifically:  I USE a new database, and then type

SELECT * FROM my

...and I expect it to suggest  "MyTable" and "MyOtherTable".  

But it doesn't, at least not for at least ten seconds.  It suggests "MyDatabase," since it's already cached the names of the databases.

I understand that it takes a little time to read sysobjects, and get things lined up, and I'm used to that.  But it seems like it's taking two or three times longer in the last few months.  

Is there something I should be looking at on my end?  The databases aren't getting any more complex.

Thanks!
Tagged:

Answers

• Options

Hi,

Thanks for reaching out on the Redgate forums and sorry to hear about the slowness concerns you are having with SQL Prompt.

Can I request a bit more info around your SQL Prompt configuration to see if we can isolate this concern?

* Is this slowness consistently occurring when you first use a new DB or just specific ones? 

* Are these DdBs on a local network or accessed over VPN?

In the settings (SQL Prompt > Options > Behaviour) can you confirm the time you have set to automatically show suggestions. 

Possibly change this value up/down and see if it makes a difference to your suggestion pop-ups 

Can you advise what version of SQL Prompt you are using 

Our latest version is 10.8.2 and can be downloaded here

SQL Prompt - 10.8.2

Finally, can you enable verbose logging and replicate the time delay and provide the log files so we can help investigate further. 

SQL Prompt - Finding log files

You should receive an email from our support desk which you can reply to with any logs.

Jon Kirkwood | Technical Support Engineer | Redgate Software