Options

How do you 'fast path' inputting a column of data and formatting with comma separators and quotes ?

broyebroye Posts: 5 Bronze 1
I am doing a SELECT; the WHERE IN has many entries. if I cut and paste the column of arguments from an excel spreadsheet or a SQL query how can I cut, paste them in parenthesis  then highlight them and let SQL Prompt do its magic and put quotes around each item or at the least a comma separator between them?  I recall being able to do this.  Or was I mistaken?

Answers

• Options
    Hi @broye,

Thanks for reaching out to us regarding this.

As far as I'm aware (I am just checking on this), I don't think there is an insert comma option within SQL Prompt.

In the mean time, would you mind sending some example SQL code so that I can try to replicate what you're seeing here?
    Kind regards

Dan Jary | Redgate Software
    Have you visited our Help Center?
  • Options
    broyebroye Posts: 5 Bronze 1
    Thank Dan_J.  By making me sit down and replicate my problem I found the answer.  There is an 'Add Commas' and 'Add Commas and Quotes" in the SQL Prompt software. 

1. First I started a basic SELECT FROM TABLE WHERE FIELD IN (,
    2. I then cut and pasted a column from a previous SELECT
    I won't post those steps but the next two images show how I get the Commas added:

I first click on the red comic book dialog bubble on the let; I scroll past first set of options and lo and behold; I selected the add commas option.
    There is my answer.  It a time saver.  An aside I wonder why don't more companies license your software.  It is a real productivity tool.  My last two employers refused to get me a license. So I invested in myself and purchased the software. 
  • Options
    Hi Broye

Glad to hear that resolved the issue for you! 
    If there is anything further we can help with please do let us know!  :)