Can you automate things being committed into Source Control?

mjnincmjninc Posts: 16 Bronze 1
edited July 13, 2021 5:28PM in SQL Source Control
Hello, I'd like to automate 2 different situations, can you tell me if either are possible and if so, how do I do it please?  
  1.   I'd like to automate .sql scripts being committed into Source Control, is this possible?
  2.   I'd like to automate database Stored Procedure changes being committed into Source Control, is this possible?

Thank you for your help.

Answers

• Sergio RSergio R Posts: 610 Rose Gold 5
    Hi,

I'm afraid that the only way to commit using SQL Source Control is interactively in SSMS, it's not possible to automate commits.

Depending on your Version Control System it might be possible to commit to a Working Folder (this part would need to be done manually) and then use that Version Control System's command-line tool to do an automated commit.

You might be able to automate further, using the SQL Compare Pro command line: this could allow you to automatically update the Working Folder (you'd still need a third-party tool to interact with the Version Control System). Please note that this option might require a SQL Change Automation license.

Kind Regards,
    Sergio
    Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Please see our Help Center for detailed guides on how to use our tools