Options

Where is the project comments?

northshorenorthshore Posts: 4 Bronze 2
edited April 17, 2009 11:34AM in SQL Compare Previous Versions
Just downloaded version 8 and noticed that the file names for each project are displayed now instead of the comment. We use the comments to sort our projects because we deal with 4 different database compares across 20+ instances. This worked very effectively for us and would like to get that back. Are the comments lost forever from the project selection screen in ver. 8?
It never hurts to ask!

Comments

• Options
    Thanks for the question. Since we brought back the concept of exposing filenames in the project list, we believed it sufficient to use this to describe a project . Have you considered renaming your filenames?

Kind regards,

David Atkinson
    Red Gate Software
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software
  • Options
    northshorenorthshore Posts: 4 Bronze 2
    Thanks for the reply. Well we can rename the files or course, but why did you offer up a comment column which can be useful, as it was for us, and then take it away all together in a new release. I know you can't please everyone, but at least you could offer up a choice of what information is visible in the projects screen if you are taking away information which was useful in the previous release.

Basically, our actual request is to allow a grouping of projects so that we don't have to wade through roughly 100 projects to find the desired project(s). Our task is once we complete a new release for our software, we synchronize all of the databases for all of our customers instances (we are a consortium of government offices). Also, it is nice to sort the projects by a desired column (comment) so that we can check off the completed databases in the order which is on our checklist to complete.

Thanks for listening....
    It never hurts to ask!
  • Options
    I guess that we discovered that the feature wasn't used as much as warranted keeping it. I realise that this isn't helpful to you, and of course we'd consider bringing it back if there was enough demand.

Have you considered grouping your projects in folders as an alternative approach?

I can't think of a way in which you could sort the projects to check off your list of completed databases. I'll note down this requirement and we'll consider it when we next revisit the project functionality.

Thanks for the comments,

David
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software
  • Options
    Thanks for the update. Sure, we can rename the projects and store them in different folders. It's just that with the comments, we were able to easily sort the projects and work with them effectivily with version 7 and now we have to spend extra time in order to use your new product.

Our request is as follows:
    - Allow for grouping of projects within a single folder (e.g. by database or some other metadata of the project)
    - Allow the user to select the metadata columns to display in the projects list
    - Allow the user to specify a coumn to be the default sort order for the projects
    - If a sort order is selected, always keep the projects in the sorted order and scroll down to the "current open project" in the sorted list after comparing each project

Our struggle is that we are big enough for the simple list to be a bit cumbersome and not big enough to obtain a more robust database synchronization rollout product. We really like your product and it has worked great for us in the past.

Thanks!
    It never hurts to ask!