Options

Unable to Get Latest on Database -- all check boxes are grayed out???

For one of our databases we have a Test, Staging, and Prod version and they're all setup to a single Git repo in Red Gate SQL Source Control. I normally make changes in Test, commit and push changes up to Git repo, then go to Staging when I'm ready to move there and Get Latest to pull changes down to it.  Yesterday I had to move these changes up to Prod, but when I tried though I could see the differences under Get Latest everything was grayed out, I couldn't select anything.  We used to use Migrations, but since this is now moved to SQL Deploy we don't have a license for that though I'm working to get one.  But migrating our changes over using the Source Control has been working... any idea why it was grayed out???  I had to manually move all the changes over, and as I did they dropped out of Get Latest as what was in Prod then matched Source Control.

Thanks for any advise.

Tagged:

Answers

• Options
    Hi @sam_alexander,

We don't recommend using SQL Source Control to apply changes to QA/Staging/Production environments.

If you need to deploy changes manually to these environments, we recommend using SQL Compare to do this

I am curious if you were aware that SQL Compare could help with this, if you don't have it installed, if it seemed like SQL Source Control might do the same thing, or if there was another reason?  

Thanks in advance,
    Kendra
  • Options
    sam_alexandersam_alexander Posts: 8 Bronze 1
    edited June 18, 2021 1:03PM
    Hi @Kendra_Little
    Thanks for the reply... I am aware of SQL Compare and I use it often, and I actually almost used it for this deploy.  Reason I didn't is because this change was adding a new DB role, and our users in each environment are quite different.  I have users excluded from SQL Source Control, but when comparing in SQL Compare the users are still here.  I know there's probably a way to ignore user permissions, but I only had a small window of time to make this production change plus I didn't want to 'test' this with a Prod deploy.  I will research further how to exclude user permissions from SQL Compare as this should get me good for future deployments.

Take care -
    Sam

• Options
    M_LaneM_Lane Posts: 2 New member
    edited July 16, 2021 8:11PM
    The only time I've seen the checkboxes greyed out is when someone has changed the database comparison options.