Sql Prompt Intellisense causes Sql Management Studio failure

I'm using SqlPrompt 10.6.15.21056 and Sql Management Studio 15.0.18384.0.
Everytime I type in an "@" sign in a query editor window, I get an object reference error in the Report to Redgate dialog.  Once the report is either sent or canceled, the Sql Management Studio locks up and then restarts, losing any work I may have done.

This is becoming a little frustrating as I use SqlPrompt all the time and this seems to be a brand new feature...
Tagged:

Answers

• SupiluliumaIISupiluliumaII Posts: 11 Bronze 2
    edited June 16, 2021 3:26PM
    Same SQL Prompt version, same SSMS version. For me, the error does not occur immediately upon typing "@" though, but after selecting a table variable from the SQL prompt suggestions box.
    E.g.
    1. Type "INSERT INTO @"
    2. Select @tvp from the suggestions
    3. Crash
  • Hi @lansmank , @SupiluliumaII

Thanks for getting in touch with us. We've been able to recreate the issue and will be releasing a fix for this tomorrow.
    Software Engineer
    Redgate Software
  • DanReyDanRey Posts: 2 New member
    I have the same issue but ssms crashing when trying to write any function like 'left'. How can I get the previous version of sql prompt ?
  • lansmanklansmank Posts: 3 Bronze 1
    Thanks Nath!!  I appreciate the quick response from your team!
  • Software Engineer
    Redgate Software
  • DanReyDanRey Posts: 2 New member
    Thank you Adrian!!, now is working fine, it's very helpful that link
  • jgonneringjgonnering Posts: 36 Bronze 4
    same version as above and same issues as above.  SSMS crashing left and right, latest was when I used the LAG function it crashed.  Based on 3 releases in the past 9 days, and another coming tomorrow it sounds like, things are looking pretty sloppy.
  • carlbcarlb Posts: 1 Bronze 1
    Thanks for this, all, It has been a frustrating day!
  • SBuckVRTSBuckVRT Posts: 4 New member
    Thank you for the link for the previous version.     Here was mine:  

Same SQL Prompt Version - SSMS v15.0.18384.     Worked fine until I tried to select a reserved word from the drop down.   SSMS crashes with this error:   

2021-06-16 14:37:50.253 -04:00 [Debug] Inserted text : c2021-06-16 14:37:50.721 -04:00 [Information] [10301] Run 'Matching object names' completion handler!2021-06-16 14:37:50.914 -04:00 [Information] [10340] Run 'Code analysis task <SQLQuery2.sql*>' completion handler!2021-06-16 14:37:55.765 -04:00 [Error] LogService caught unhandled exception in AppDomain: 'Object reference not set to an instance of an object.'System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.   at RedGate.SQLPrompt.CommonUI.Forms.SchemaInformation.ObjectDefinitionBox._candidateName_Paint(Object sender, PaintEventArgs e)   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnPaint(PaintEventArgs e)   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.PaintWithErrorHandling(PaintEventArgs e, Int16 layer)   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmPaint(Message& m)   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.DebuggableCallback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)2021-06-16 14:37:55.771 -04:00 [Error] Report error dialog UI shownSystem.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.   at RedGate.SQLPrompt.CommonUI.Forms.SchemaInformation.ObjectDefinitionBox._candidateName_Paint(Object sender, PaintEventArgs e)   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnPaint(PaintEventArgs e)   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.PaintWithErrorHandling(PaintEventArgs e, Int16 layer)   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmPaint(Message& m)   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.DebuggableCallback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
    Adding my issue just for documentation.   Thank you for the link to the previous version.   

SSMS v15.0.18384   SQL Prompt 10.6.15.21056
    Using any Reserved word from the Drop Down list causes SSMS to crash and the following error: 

2021-06-16 14:37:50.253 -04:00 [Debug] Inserted text : c
    2021-06-16 14:37:50.721 -04:00 [Information] [10301] Run 'Matching object names' completion handler!
    2021-06-16 14:37:50.914 -04:00 [Information] [10340] Run 'Code analysis task <SQLQuery2.sql*>' completion handler!
    2021-06-16 14:37:55.765 -04:00 [Error] LogService caught unhandled exception in AppDomain: 'Object reference not set to an instance of an object.'
    System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
       at RedGate.SQLPrompt.CommonUI.Forms.SchemaInformation.ObjectDefinitionBox._candidateName_Paint(Object sender, PaintEventArgs e)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnPaint(PaintEventArgs e)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.PaintWithErrorHandling(PaintEventArgs e, Int16 layer)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmPaint(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.DebuggableCallback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
  • noob2016noob2016 Posts: 22 Bronze 3
    edited June 16, 2021 7:53PM
    Same SQL Prompt and SSMS versions.
    My issues are typing RAND() and CONVERT().
  • We released a fix for this today in SQL Prompt v10.6.16.
    Software Engineer
    Redgate Software
  • lansmanklansmank Posts: 3 Bronze 1
    Thank you Nath.
    I checked this morning and saw the release build, have applied it and it seems to have corrected the issue.
    I appreciate the quick turnaround on this!!
    I have applied and the issues I had with reserved words has been corrected.  Thank you!
  • SupiluliumaIISupiluliumaII Posts: 11 Bronze 2
    NathWilson said:
    We released a fix for this today in SQL Prompt v10.6.16.
    Thanks for the fix, works for me too! 🙂