Project Configuration

CMeeseCMeese Posts: 7 Bronze 1
For one project we have a "master" database that stores common objects that are periodically synced to 5 separate application databases. The idea is that these common objects should always be in sync between the "master" database and all 5 application databases. However, the 5 application databases have other, custom objects (different in every database) that do not exist in the "master" database. It's fine for these custom objects to exist and they should never be dropped.

The challenge I face is that when I sync the "master" database to these application databases, it naturally wants to drop all of the custom objects because they do not exist in the "master" database. It's simple enough to uncheck the option to drop objects after the comparison is complete, but its a dangerous situation because if I forget to uncheck that option, generate and run the sync script, all of the custom objects would be dropped.

Finally - the question! Is there a way to configure my project to address this? Like a configuration that says "Ignore objects that exist in the destination (i.e. my custom databases) but don't exist in the source (i.e. my "master" database)."

Thanks
Craig
Tagged:

Answers

• Sergio RSergio R Posts: 610 Rose Gold 5
    edited June 16, 2021 3:46PM
    Hi Craig,

Using the command-line tool, you can achieve this by using the /exclude:additional switch.
    Alternatively, you can use a filter to either only include the objects that are in the master database or to exclude the additional objects.

Kind Regards,
    Sergio
    Sergio
    Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Please see our Help Center for detailed guides on how to use our tools