Options

Permanently deleting snippets

I can understand that some people find snippets useful, however I find them to be an annoyance. They are frequently inserted when I type something that resembles a snippet name (and even when it doesn't).

I have deleted them using the Snippet Manager, but they always come back 

Please tell me how to kill snippets once and for all. Thank you.
Tagged:

Best Answer

• Options
    Victoria WVictoria W Posts: 335 Gold 2
    Hi @Dave Pendleton

I can understand that some people find snippets useful, however I find them to be an annoyance. They are frequently inserted when I type something that resembles a snippet name (and even when it doesn't).

I have deleted them using the Snippet Manager, but they always come back 

Please tell me how to kill snippets once and for all. Thank you.

In short, there isn't a way to turn Snippets off in the current version.  The default behavior of the application code is to detect if there are any Snippets in the configured folder when you start SSMS.  If there are no Snippets in the folder, the application will generate the default list of Snippets and place them in the folder.  Therefore, if you delete all the snippets, they will be replaced by the default set on startup. 

However, if you leave just 1x (one) Snippet, then that process won't occur.  The default list of Snippets will only generate if there are none present at all.  This would be a workaround for now.

We also have our User Voice form, where our customers are encouraged to provide ideas and improvements, which you can then follow through to implementation if released.
    https://redgate.uservoice.com/forums/94413-sql-prompt
    Kind regards

Victoria Wiseman | Redgate Software
    Have you visited our Help Center?