Options

Hanging Splash Screen

lenarddlenardd Posts: 3
edited April 17, 2009 1:56PM in SQL Compare Previous Versions
Hi,

When I start up SQL Compare 8 (or 7 for that matter), it will hang on the Splash Screen for like 5-10 minutes. Eventually, the main screen will appear. Do you know why this happens? It ran fine at one time. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the application many times but the problem still persists. I'm running Vista by the way.

Thanks.

--Lenard

Comments

• Options
    Thanks for your post.

These symptoms are usually caused by misconfigured or orphaned network printers installed on your machine. We use some components that gather a list of printers on startup, and if it encounters a problem with any of them, it can take a while to give up and move on.

Would you be able to take a look at the printers you have installed, and remove any unnecessary ones?

If this doesn't help, would you be able to try disconnecting from your network before launching the application. Slow startups are normally network related, so this should narrow down if this is the case or not.
    Chris
  • Options
    Hi Chris,

You were right. It was one of my printers. But I don't understand why. If I don't define the printer using its computer name but instead use its IP address, all is fine.

It seems to also happen in my newly installed copy of Vista under VMWare. (No problems under Windows XP, however.)

Anyways, not your problem. I'll have to do some Googling later. :)

Thanks.

--Lenard