Options

UI for Redgate Apps are unusable

I recently installed the Redgate tools, and during installation, the UI was distorted.  For example, the installing dialog looked something like this.

The problem has continued as I've been using the tool.  Redgate's UIs are difficult to navigate and read, for example here is my UI for SQL Source Control (I added the black areas)

System information:

Edition        Windows 10 Pro

Version        20H2

OS build        19042.928

Experience        Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.551.0

Resolution: 3840x2160 (changing this had no impact)

SQL Source control version: 7.2.20.12234

SSMS Version: 18.9.1 

Is there a solution for this?  It makes using the tools almost impossible. Thanks.

Answers

• Options
    csnydercsnyder Posts: 3 New member
    I do have my display scaled to 300% because I use a large tv attached to my wall as a monitor.  When I set the scale to 100%, the layout looks slightly better, bet the font is way too small to be useful.

• Options
    Same here.. Completely unusable. Is there a fix on the way?
  • Options
    csnydercsnyder Posts: 3 New member
    I was given this as a work around and it fixed the problem for me.

Workaround (Windows 10 series - Windows 10, Windows Server 2016, Windows Server 2019)

1.    Go to the Ssms.exe directory (e.g C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio 18\Common7\IDE).

2.    Right click on the Ssms.exe and click Properties.

3.    Go to the Compatibility tab and click Change high DPI settings.

4.    Change High DPI scaling override settings.

5.    Done.​

• Options
    lucasrobinsonlucasrobinson Posts: 1 New member
    edited April 6, 2024 7:27PM

Dear csnydercsnyder,

Thank you for reaching out regarding the usability issues you've encountered with the Redgate tools' user interface (UI). It's crucial that software interfaces are intuitive and functional to enhance user experience.

I understand the frustration caused by distorted UI elements and difficulties in navigation and readability, especially given your setup with a large TV as a monitor. Fortunately, there is a solution that might address your concerns.

The workaround you provided seems promising, especially for Windows 10 series users facing similar challenges with high DPI scaling. Here's a step-by-step recap of the solution:

1. Navigate to the directory where Ssms.exe is located (e.g., C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio 18\Common7\IDE).
    2. Right-click on Ssms.exe and select "Properties."
    3. Switch to the "Compatibility" tab.
    4. Click on "Change high DPI settings."
    5. Adjust the High DPI scaling override settings as necessary.
    6. Apply the changes.

Implementing these adjustments might resolve the distortion and usability issues you've been experiencing with the Redgate tools' UI. Additionally, if you're using a Mac and streaming TV content, ensure that your using the our recommended software while Mac's display settings are optimized for the TV. You can adjust display settings on your Mac to better suit the resolution and scaling requirements of your TV.