Options

SQL Data Catalog connectivity Issue

Hello,

I have configured SQL Data Catalog in my PC and trying to connect to one of the Dev Server databases. Since we don't have an Instance(per DBA) I am trying to add Server in my Catalog tool under  "ADD Instance" Section.
I have tried adding "servername.database name ","servername" and other ways to add the database. when I look into the logs it says "A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. "

1) Is the above issue is something about my access/Firewall security to that server.

2) Am I using any wrong syntax/naming convention to connect my database.

Thanks,
Arun

Answers

• Options
    Hey @Arun72

Thanks for your post and apologies for the delay in my reply! Have you been able to solve this at all?

Typically adding and instance to SQL Data Catalog does require that you provide the Instance specifically, you can't provide a database name in isolation as that isn't how the tool is designed to work.

Could you let me know what type of SQL Server you're connecting to please? Are we talking Azure SQL Database (PaaS), or a separate install like SQL 2017 on a VM etc.?

The other thing to think about is what permissions Data Catalog is running under - does the service that's connecting out to the server have the relevant permissions needed to access the instance / database? 

Let me know if any of this helps - thanks very much,
    Kindest