SQL Prompt Suggestions Not Showing On Server

HTizHTiz Posts: 1 New member
Hello,

Out of the blue, my SQL Prompt suggestions stopped showing up when connecting to my dev server. Every other server I connect to works fine, it is only this one server. I've tried upgrading and re-installing, connecting directly via the IP address, and editing the hosts file but no luck. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Here is the log message I get:
2021-03-10 22:38:40.372 -06:00 [Warning] Failed to load server (xxxxxxxxx)
System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException (0x80131904): A transport-level error has occurred when receiving results from the server. (provider: TCP Provider, error: 0 - The specified network name is no longer available.) ---> System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception (0x80004005): The specified network name is no longer available
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection, Action`1 wrapCloseInAction)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection, Action`1 wrapCloseInAction)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObject stateObj, Boolean callerHasConnectionLock, Boolean asyncClose)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParserStateObject.ReadSniError(TdsParserStateObject stateObj, UInt32 error)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParserStateObject.ReadSniSyncOverAsync()
   at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParserStateObject.TryReadNetworkPacket()
   at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParserStateObject.TryPrepareBuffer()
   at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParserStateObject.TryReadByte(Byte& value)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.TryRun(RunBehavior runBehavior, SqlCommand cmdHandler, SqlDataReader dataStream, BulkCopySimpleResultSet bulkCopyHandler, TdsParserStateObject stateObj, Boolean& dataReady)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlDataReader.TryConsumeMetaData()
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlDataReader.get_MetaData()
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.FinishExecuteReader(SqlDataReader ds, RunBehavior runBehavior, String resetOptionsString, Boolean isInternal, Boolean forDescribeParameterEncryption, Boolean shouldCacheForAlwaysEncrypted)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReaderTds(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, Boolean async, Int32 timeout, Task& task, Boolean asyncWrite, Boolean inRetry, SqlDataReader ds, Boolean describeParameterEncryptionRequest)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReader(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, String method, TaskCompletionSource`1 completion, Int32 timeout, Task& task, Boolean& usedCache, Boolean asyncWrite, Boolean inRetry)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReader(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, String method)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteScalar()
   at RedGate.Cache.Candidates.ServerCandidate.LoadCaseSensitivity(SqlConnection masterConnection)
   at RedGate.Cache.Candidates.ServerCandidate.LoadServer()
ClientConnectionId:c402164a-ca5d-4305-90c8-12d4c3935a12
Error Number:64,State:0,Class:20

Answers

• Jessica RJessica R Posts: 1,319 Rose Gold 4
    Hi and thanks for your post!

Has anything changed in your connection properties?

Can you kindly bring up the connect dialog box, click on Options, and send over a screenshot of what Connection Properties you have set? If you increase the timeouts from there, does the problem remain?

Can I please also check if you have anything added in Additional Connection Parameters?

Jessica Ramos | Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software

Have you visited our Help Center?

• AHeineAHeine Posts: 4 New member
    Hi there, 
    I'm getting the exact same error with a server,
    Microsoft SQL Server Express (64-bit)
    Sql Promt 10.5.4.17397

When I turn off sql promts suggestions ssms built in suggestions works... 
    Sorry to hear that @AHeine!

Can I please check the same questions:

- Can you kindly bring up the connect dialog box, click on Options, and send over a screenshot of what Connection Properties you have set? If you increase the timeouts from there, does the problem remain?

- Can I please also check if you have anything added in Additional Connection Parameters?

• AHeineAHeine Posts: 4 New member
    Jessica R said:
    Sorry to hear that @AHeine!

Can I please check the same questions:

- Can you kindly bring up the connect dialog box, click on Options, and send over a screenshot of what Connection Properties you have set? If you increase the timeouts from there, does the problem remain?

- Can I please also check if you have anything added in Additional Connection Parameters?
    HI, 
    It seems to be only on this server where I'm getting the issue, is there anything user rights wise I can check out?
  • parsik93parsik93 Posts: 1 New member
    Hi, 
    I'm getting the exact same error with a server: SQL Prompt suggestions stopped showing up.
    Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio 14.0.17289.0
    Sql Promt 9.5.19.11631
    The the connect dialog box is attached.
    Hi both!

The required permissions are listed here but it seems it's likely failing to connect to the server before it tries to authenticate.

And my apologies for not clarifying, can you please check the SQL Server connection details in Connection Properties and Additional Connection Parameters and let me know what's enabled/added?

​​

@parsik93 In case this might be related to SQL Server version, can I just check what SQL Server version are you using? Do you get the same issue with the latest version of SQL Prompt?