How do you use cloud databases? Take the survey.
Options

using static ports

Hi red gate team,
I take care of sql servers with one and more instances per sql server. I have to change the tcp ports to a static value.
Example : four named instances could have ports 1533,1633,1733,1833. After that in the monitored server page I have no access to the instance, vm looks good. I opened the firewall for these ip's, additionell tcp 1433 , 135. No improvement. I shut down the firewall - it still looks bad.
Where is the problem?
Is there a problem for red gate working with more than on instance, where the ports are static and differing from port 1433 (standard) ?
Regards 
Rainer

Answers

• Options
    Hello Rainer,
    Thanks for your inquiry and sorry to hear about your issue with SQL Monitor.

Can you confirm the following for me?
    • That you have the SQL Browser Service turned on within the monitored instance
    • That you've manually set the ports for each of those SQL Instances in SQL Monitor.
    If you haven't done the latter yet, you can do so via the following steps for each of the SQL Server Instances:

1. Mouse over the entity you want to set the port for (here sql2008r2 instance) and click Edit credentials:

2. Then click Edit properties at the bottom of the overlaid screen that appears:

3. Then set the port (and any other properties needed):

4.Then click OK on Connection properties screen. Re-enter credentials and click Apply on Edit credentials screen.

Please let me know if that helps you out.

Thanks!

Sean Quigley | Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software

Have you visited our Help Center?