Options

Number of Workers

Hello, I am just wondering if the number of Workers could be automatically selected.   
if you have many rules, do we still manually count number of rules running concurrently? or is there a way, it will be selected automatically?   and also, if I miscount the number of the concurrent rules and select wrong number of Workers, what would it happen? (for both cases -  less number /  too many number) 

Thank you,
Tagged:

Best Answer

• Options
    PlantBasedSQLPlantBasedSQL Posts: 187 Gold 4
    Hi @bcnk than you for your post!
    The number of workers is usually set at 2 by default, because the number of workers does depend on both the number of rules you have running concurrently and also the power of the machine that you're running it on! Anywhere between 2 and 4 is a default we see many customers get the most use out of.

If the server is high performance (SSD, multi core, a fair amount of RAM) then we would expect you to be fine to simply set the number of workers relatively high (like 10 or 12), without even counting the rules that should run concurrently, because those workers will only be utilized as they're needed and any unused will sit dormant for the run.

We generally work on a principle of 2-4 workers per available core on the machine but again, due to the nature of the operation this varies quite significantly.

Don't worry about getting the count of workers wrong, if you set it too low, then the rules might take a little longer to complete, a little high and you shouldn't notice a BIG difference. I would try testing out your sets with different numbers and see what works best for you!

Let me know if you have any other questions! Thank you very much!
    Kindest

Answers