Options

SQL Prompt 10.4.7.16599 takes two minutes to load when opening a new tab in SSMS 18.7.1.

hrobertshroberts Posts: 5 New member
edited November 25, 2020 8:56PM in SQL Prompt
Has anyone else come across this? I uninstalled SSMS 18.7.1 and reinstalled. When I reinstalled SQL Prompt was not showing as an add on. After deleting and redownloading SQL Prompt and adding it to SSMS now I'm having a two minute freeze when opening a New Query for the first time.

2020-11-25 15:44:23.814 -05:00|Information||| OnStartupComplete complete
2020-11-25 15:46:57.181 -05:00|Information||| Document opened

Best Answer

• Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 26 Bronze 2
    Hello @hroberts,

I unfortunately haven't been able to reproduce (there does seem to be a short delay for me though only for a few seconds).

Can you please check the following below to see if it helps:
    - Does it make any difference if you disable suggestions and code analysis (from the SQL Prompt menu) and also disable tab history (SQL Prompt>Options>Tab History) before opening the query?
    - What SQL Server version are you connected to? 
    - To confirm, if you revert to the previous SQL Prompt release, does the issue go away for you?
    https://download.red-gate.com/checkforupdates/SQLPrompt/SQLPrompt_10.4.6.16406.exe

Kind regards,
    David Dang 
    Product Support Engineer

Answers

• Options
    Hi David,

It made no difference disabling suggestions and code analysis and also disabling tab history before opening the query.

v18.7.1
    SQL Server Management Studio 15.0.18358.0
    SQL Server Management Objects (SMO) 16.100.44091.28
    Microsoft Analysis Services Client Tools 15.0.19260.0
    Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC) 10.0.18362.1
    Microsoft MSXML 3.0 6.0 
    Microsoft .NET Framework 4.0.30319.42000
    Operating System 10.0.18363

Reverting to the previous SQL Prompt release DID resolve the issue.

I'm not sure if this is an issue with the new SSMS version or the new version of SQL Prompt.

Please let me know if you'd like to review the logs.

Thanks!
  • Options
    Hi @hroberts,

Thanks for the follow up! I'm glad that reverting to a previous version of SQL Prompt helped for you. I am not entirely sure why SQL Prompt may take longer in your environment as I was not able to replicate the issue in my environment. 

As environmental factors can affect performance of SQL Prompt, it may be difficult to pinpoint what were the exact causes of the issue. With that said, if you don't mind sharing the log files, I would be interested in seeing if the logs may contain any useful information.
    https://documentation.red-gate.com/sp/troubleshooting/finding-the-sql-prompt-log-files

Kind regards,
    David Dang
  • Options
    edited December 7, 2020 6:27PM
    I've attached the logs for you. Thanks!
  • Options
    Hi @hroberts,

Thanks for sharing the logs. I do notice a difference in time at the point where SQL Prompt seems to be taking longer to decrypt objects. Do you have encrypted objects in your databases?

Based on our SQL Prompt release notes, I don't see any changes that would affect this issues moving from 10.4.6 to 10.4.7. Although, as a workaround if you were to ever encounter this issue again, would be to uncheck the option to "Decrypt encrypted objects" in SQL Prompt > Options > Suggestions > Behavior > Encrypted Objects. 

I hope this was helpful! Don't hesitate to reach back out if you have any other questions.

Kind regards,
    David Dang 
    Product Support Engineer