SQL Prompt freezes my Management Studio

geller_eugenegeller_eugene Posts: 5
edited June 7, 2011 5:17AM in SQL Prompt Previous Versions
Terrific product, I used it all the time on my old computer (Windows Server 2003 x86), but then, after I upgraded (Windows Server 2008 x64), SQL Prompt just freezes my Management Studio for a while. It would unfreeze for a couple of seconds, and the only way for me to actually do some work is to disable it, but then I can't use it. I use Management Studio 2008, I just checked for updates and I am running the latest version of the product.

Here is the full version numbers of my tools:

Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio
10.0.1600.22 ((SQL_PreRelease).080709-1414 )

Microsoft Analysis Services Client Tools
2007.0100.1600.022 ((SQL_PreRelease).080709-1414 )

Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC)
6.0.6001.18000 (longhorn_rtm.080118-1840)

Microsoft MSXML 3.0 5.0 6.0
Microsoft Internet Explorer 8.0.6001.18702
Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0.50727.3074
Operating System 6.0.6001

SQL Prompt version 3.9.0.43

Here's the log:

01 Apr 2009 16:26:43,588 [1] INFO RedGate.SqlPrompt.Engine.LogService - Starting new SQL Prompt editor session
01 Apr 2009 16:39:12,564 [1] ERROR RedGate.SqlPrompt.Engine.LogService - Invalid second child for alias table. Was expecting an identifier (727) but found element of type 23.
01 Apr 2009 16:39:12,567 [1] ERROR RedGate.SqlPrompt.Engine.LogService - R
01 Apr 2009 16:39:12,589 [1] ERROR RedGate.SqlPrompt.Engine.LogService - at RedGate.SqlPrompt.Engine.Candidates.DerivedTableCandidate.a(SqlPromptEngine , cE , Element )
at RedGate.SqlPrompt.Engine.Candidates.DerivedTableCandidate..ctor(SqlPromptEngine engine, ISqlInfo parent, cE astMap, Element tableSubquery)
at ce.e(SqlPromptEngine , cE , Element )
01 Apr 2009 16:46:03,243 [22] ERROR RedGate.SqlPrompt.Engine.LogService - LogService caught unhandled exception in AppDomain: 'Thread was being aborted.'
System.Threading.ThreadAbortException: Thread was being aborted.
at System.Threading.Thread.SleepInternal(Int32 millisecondsTimeout)
at u.a()
at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart_Context(Object state)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.runTryCode(Object userData)
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.RuntimeHelpers.ExecuteCodeWithGuaranteedCleanup(TryCode code, CleanupCode backoutCode, Object userData)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()

Please let me know what I can do to let all my software coexist :)

Thank you.

Comments

• Are you working over a VPN? We have a patch release to improve performance in these situations.
  • No, I am not working over a VPN. One other thing I did not mention is that my queries reference several different servers by aliases. When all our servers were SQL Server 2000 and I was on a 32-bit Windows Server 2003, it worked fine. Then I switched computers and now, in addition, one of the servers is actually a SQL Server 2005.
  • Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    I would suggest going into cache management and clearing everything out. It could be that there is some cunfusion between some cached databases if you are using aliases.
  • Brian,

Thank you for your reply. I enabled SQL Prompt, cleared cache, but it did not work. I had a query opened with aliases and SQL Server Management Studio started freezing almost instantly. Once I could get to the menu, I formatted a query and here's the log:

13 Apr 2009 17:15:49,971 [1] INFO RedGate.SqlPrompt.Engine.LogService - Starting new SQL Prompt editor session
    13 Apr 2009 17:16:25,275 [27] ERROR RedGate.SqlPrompt.Engine.LogService - LogService caught unhandled exception in AppDomain: 'Thread was being aborted.'
    System.Threading.ThreadAbortException: Thread was being aborted.
    at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Package.LanguageService.ParseThread()
    at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart_Context(Object state)
    at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
    at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()

Management Studio kept locking up for a while so I had to disable SQL Prompt again.
  • geller

Do you have anything else installed? SSMS Tools Pack or etc...
    I'd uninstall SQL Prompt, restart, make sure SSMS works fine
    re-install SQL Prompt again, and see how it works
    Jerry Hung
    DBA, MCITP
  • I got some more information. The freeze only occurs when a 2000 server instance is trying to get to the 2005 server instance by alias which is not configured (I am opening last year's queries for the report and back then all the servers were SQL Server 2000).

It freezes for about 30 seconds, then I am able to go in to the menu and disable SQL Prompt, then it works.
  • I found (a lot of) the same entries in my event log today. Will you inform us when the issue is fixed or how to we can fix it?

(US Windows 7, 64-bit)