How do you use cloud databases? Take the survey.

SQL Monitor 11 Released

Chris LambrouChris Lambrou Posts: 25 Bronze 3
edited October 19, 2020 2:53PM in SQL Monitor
SQL Monitor 11.0.0. has been released. Direct download link.

Attend a training webinar to discover what's new in SQL Monitor 11.

Major changes

• Amazon RDS support is now out of preview and is fully supported
  • tempdb monitoring with dedicated metrics and graphs is now out of preview
  • Support for compressing the SQL Monitor data repository
  • Unattended installation and upgrade

Features

• SRP-13435 Added highlighting session series when hovering over row in session table
  • SRP-13465 Added Files section to tempdb on server overview

Improvements

• Changes to Active Directory configuration are immediately applied to all logged in users
  • Add support for SQL Server performance settings (delayed durability, query optimizer hot fixes, batch mode for row store)

Fixes

• SRP-13433 Fix issue with blocking processes being raised on all databases on an Azure Managed Instance
  • SRP-13454: No longer populate the base monitor configuration when a website-only install is detected
  • Correctly scale units for sparklines on the server overview
  • SRP-13447 The SQL recompilations / sec graph, which is displayed on certain types of alert, has been fixed
  • Resolves an issue where the backups estate page may fail to load
  • SRP-13443 NaN value issue in the tooltip for the tempdb graphs fixed
  • SRP-13462 Rescaling on tempdb tables graph fixed

Changes

• Microsoft Internet Explorer 11 is no longer supported
Chris Lambrou
Software Engineer, SQL Monitor Team
Tagged:

Comments

• Greg_SmulkoGreg_Smulko Posts: 41 Silver 1
    edited October 22, 2020 12:47PM

Version 11.0.1 has been released

Direct download link

Features

• SRP-13422 Add group name to the subject of email alert notification

Improvements

• SRP-13463 Added tempdb metrics to analysis page

Fixes

• SRP-13474: Fixed an issue that could cause upgrades to SQL Monitor 11 to fail.
    • SRP-13477: Fixed an issue that could cause internal SQL Monitor errors on TempDBObjects.
    • ZD-170676: Fixed TypeInitializerException when parsing amazon-rds-instance-classes.csv resource file caused by locale issue.
    Greg Smulko | Technical Architect for SQL Monitor | Redgate Software
  • mykaskamykaska Posts: 19 Bronze 2
    edited October 22, 2020 12:15PM
    Could you please share the direct link to the version 11.0.1?
  • mykaska said:
    Could you please share the direct link to the version 11.0.1?
    Sure, it's https://download.red-gate.com/checkforupdates/SQLMonitorWeb/SQLMonitorWeb_11.0.1.2362.exe
    Greg Smulko | Technical Architect for SQL Monitor | Redgate Software
  • alexsdbaalexsdba Posts: 3 Bronze 1
    are we getting version 11.0.2 anytime soon?
  • Version 11.0.2 has been released

Direct download link

Fixes

• Fixed JavaScript error when opening server overview for RDS instances without Enhanced Monitoring
    • Disable tempdb object sampler by default and remove from server overview page as it causes deadlocks
    • Fixed loss of some base monitor configuration on upgrade
    • SRP-13421 - Stop removing log files during uninstall, which sometimes caused the update to fail when SQL Monitor was running in IIS. The issue may be fixed not immediately but only after the next update.
    • SRP-13481 - Fixes email alert notifications failing issue

Changes

• The option to add group name to the subject of email alert notification has been removed temporarily
    Software Engineer
    Redgate Software
  • We're currently running 11.0.1 and SQL Monitor now indicates that version 11.0.2 is available including a link "Learn how you can automate updates to SQL Monitor" which points to https://www.red-gate.com/SM11/automated-installation-and-updates. However that link requires a username and password even though I'm logged in on your site already. My usual username/password don't work.
    There's no mention of automated updates in the regular online documentation, just the old install process.

How can we get this new information?
  • joshcrangjoshcrang Posts: 21 Bronze 2
    edited October 29, 2020 8:46AM
    We're currently running 11.0.1 and SQL Monitor now indicates that version 11.0.2 is available including a link "Learn how you can automate updates to SQL Monitor" which points to https://www.red-gate.com/SM11/automated-installation-and-updates. However that link requires a username and password even though I'm logged in on your site already. My usual username/password don't work.
    There's no mention of automated updates in the regular online documentation, just the old install process.

How can we get this new information?
    Unfortunately we've had a few issues getting this working as well as we'd like so we've removed in-product notifications starting 11.0.2. Stay tuned for updates in a later release of SQL Monitor 11.
    Software Engineer
    Redgate Software
  • Version 11.0.3 has been released

Direct download link

Features

• SRP-13376 Option to exclude SQL Agent job failed/cancelled alert on secondary AG nodes
    • SRP-13489 Option to log alerts to the Windows event log on the base monitor
    • SRP-13422 Option to add a group name to the alert notification email

Improvements

• SRP-13479 tempdb performance graphs now link to analysis page on click
    • Added database details in server overview page for Amazon RDS
    • Added test functionality to the Add Amazon RDS SQL Server page

Fixes

• SRP-13494 Fix error adding Windows clusters that include the domain as part of their name
    • SRP-13127 Standard User authorization issue on Estate > SQL Server Licensing Page
    • SRP-13493 Fix error when testing the base monitor inaccessible email when an SMTP password is set
  • israel_valverdeisrael_valverde Posts: 12 Bronze 1
    edited November 10, 2020 2:09PM

Version 11.0.4 has been released

Direct download link

Improvements

• Improved job sampler query to reduce load on monitored entities

Fixes

• Fixed disk space alert details page not loading for Amazon RDS instances
    • SRP-13431 - SQL Monitor will now only check active directory credentials once on login to avoid locking out users
    • Fixed an issue where the web installer crashed on the performance settings page

Changes

• Base Monitors can now be given a display name. Display names will show throughout SQL Monitor in place of the Base Monitor's network name.
    • SRP-13502 Add a group name to the alert notification emails by default
  • Version 11.0.5 has been released

Direct download link

Features

• SRP-12592 Added detail page for Cluster Shared Volumes on Estate disk usage page

Improvements

• SRP-13504 Job name and ID now available on long-running query alerts, if caused by a job

Fixes

• Fixed an issue where some API requests fail due to SQL Monitor being hosted in an IIS subdirectory
    • SRP-13491 Fixed an issue causing the SQL Instance unreachable alert to intermittently end and then immediately restart
    • Fixed appearance of new help menu that had an extra margin on a few pages
  • Version 11.0.6 has been released

Direct download link

Fixes

• SRP-13514 Fixed an issue causing the Session Graph not showing data points
  • AzizAziz Posts: 9 New member
    edited December 3, 2020 4:08PM

Version 11.0.7 has been released

Direct download link

Improvements

• SRP-13498 Explanatory text has been added to clarify a number of the graphs on the tempdb tab

Fixes

• SRP-13498 An issue that could cause the top of certain tempdb graphs to be incorrectly translated
    • SRP-13508 Remove issue causing base monitor service user being incorrectly used to monitor servers occasionally
    • SRP-13525 An issue that fails to save product activation data to a file during manual activation
  • Version 11.0.8 has been released

Direct download link

Features

• First preview of our reworked support for monitoring Azure SQL Managed Instances. Learn more.

Fixes

• SRP-13533 API cmdlet "Remove-SqlMonitorMachine" will now be able to remove standalone machines.

API changes

• SRP-13530 New-SqlMonitorGroup, Remove-SqlMonitorGroup added.
    • SRP-13533 Remove-SqlMonitorMachine and Get-SqlMonitorMachine have had pipeline support added.
    Chris Lambrou
  • Version 11.0.9 has been released

Direct download link

Fixes

• SRP-13527 Estate disks page now shows failover cluster instances
    • SRP-13521 Estate backups page now groups dbs with different casing but same name in an AG when CI collation
    Naz Yilmaz | Software Engineer | Redgate Software
  • This is more of a question than a complaint.  Was the Add New Host button intentionally removed from the Global overviews page, as it seems to be missing with version 11.0.9?  I ask because I don't see that mentioned in the release notes.  While I have found it convenient to access that feature directly from the Global overviews page, I could certainly live without it if the decision was made to remove it.  Just curious.
  • This is more of a question than a complaint.  Was the Add New Host button intentionally removed from the Global overviews page, as it seems to be missing with version 11.0.9?  I ask because I don't see that mentioned in the release notes.  While I have found it convenient to access that feature directly from the Global overviews page, I could certainly live without it if the decision was made to remove it.  Just curious.
    Hi, I believe you are referring to the button "+ Add monitored server" on the global overviews page, if that is the case then this button is hidden at the moment for resolutions smaller than 1849px. I hope this helps.  
  • Yes, that's it.  Thanks for the explanation.  Sorry getting the text wrong in my query as I was working from memory and couldn't see the button to give the exact text in the description.  And yes my resolution doesn't go that high, so for me it's missing.  

Can you elaborate what you mean by "this button is hidden at the moment"?  To me that seems to imply that perhaps that was an unintentional change that may be fixed in a future update.  But it's not clear.
  • Version 11.0.10 has been released

Direct download link

Features

• The preview of our reworked Azure SQL Managed Instances support now includes an updated server overview page. Learn more.
  • Yes, that's it.  Thanks for the explanation.  Sorry getting the text wrong in my query as I was working from memory and couldn't see the button to give the exact text in the description.  And yes my resolution doesn't go that high, so for me it's missing.  

Can you elaborate what you mean by "this button is hidden at the moment"?  To me that seems to imply that perhaps that was an unintentional change that may be fixed in a future update.  But it's not clear.
    Hi, apologies for being unclear. This was an intentional change; but I will bring your comment to the team's attention.
  • Version 11.0.11 has been released

Direct download link

Features

• SRP-13532 Updated SNMP/Webhooks/Slack alert messages to display descriptions for custom alert types

Improvements

• ZD-235833 The blocking process alert now reports the query start time, rather than the login time
    • SRP-13528 Added tab to alert details showing which SQL Server instances are affected by machine level alerts.

Fixes

• SRP-13553 Fixed a feature of expanding/collapsing of the entries in Top queries tab on Alert details page

• Version 11.0.12 has been released

Direct download link

Improvements

• SRP-13540 Pointer on hover over tempdb session table indicates that rows are clickable
    • SRP-13540 The session table rows in tempdb section are not collapsed while selecting Sql text
  • Piers_WilliamsPiers_Williams Posts: 14 Bronze 1
    edited January 13, 2021 3:59PM

Version 11.0.13 has been released

Direct download link

Fixes

• SRP-13544 Fixed FCI node disappearing on monitored servers page, if there's only one node
    • SRP-13567 Fix broken link to server overview from suspended instances on the global dashboard
    • SRP-13565 Fixed report pdf generating feature
  • israel_valverdeisrael_valverde Posts: 12 Bronze 1
    edited January 21, 2021 4:34PM

Version 11.0.14 has been released

Direct download link

Improvements

• SRP-13510 Group name validation for empty entries
    • Data settings: support performance features for base monitor repositories hosted on Azure

Fixes

• SRP-13026 The latest occurrence column on the logon failure report tile now appears in local time
    • SRP-13307 Ignore the 'Database is in transition' exception that is displayed as a connection error
    • ZD-225222 An error that could cause Monitor to report "Multiple custom attributes of the same type found" on startup has been fixed
    • SRP-13565 Fixed report pdf generating feature
    • SRP-13471 Fixed rounding in tempdb graphs when the graph values ~< 5MB

API changes

• SRP-13548 Active directory authenticated users can now be configured through the API
  • Version 11.0.15 has been released

Direct download link

Features

• SRP-13167 Long running query alerts will now show executing stored procedure and potential caller procedures

Features

• Re-wrote Global Dashboard to improve performance and responsiveness. Additional minor fixes to the Global Dashboard are also included in these changes.

Fixes

• SRP-13577 Fixes issue preventing integrity check overdue alert being raised
    • ZD-244420 An issue that could cause the error log alert not to show the error description under certain circumstances has been fixed
    • SRP-13579 Enforces a minimum size of 15 minutes for the zoom window on the Server Overview page.
    • ZD-243668 Fixed a mismatch between 'Instances with lowest uptime' summary tile on the Reports page and its saved PDF version
  • Hi folks
    is there a requirement to restart sql after applying 11.0.15?
    database is on a shared instance so lot of coordination if I need to restart
    FYI the last version (11.0.15) generates false positives "SQL Server instance unreachable" on SQL Instances which disabled as a service and suspended in RG SQL Monitor

• Hi folks
    is there a requirement to restart sql after applying 11.0.15?
    database is on a shared instance so lot of coordination if I need to restart

There's no need to restart the SQL Server after upgrading to 11.0.15.
  • Chris LambrouChris Lambrou Posts: 25 Bronze 3
    edited March 18, 2021 12:59PM

Version 11.0.16 has been released

Direct download link

Features

• Alerting now works on Azure Managed SQL Instances.
    • Azure Managed SQL Instances can now be organized in groups
    • You can now define Alert suppression windows for Azure Managed SQL Instances
    • You can now manage the permissions for accessing your monitored Azure Managed SQL Instances

Note: Azure Managed SQL Instance support is still in preview and machine level metrics like CPU usage and memory are not monitored yet

Fixes

• SRP-13571 Display aliases for instances on any base monitor on alerts inbox and summary reports
    • SRP-13591 Custom metrics now load correctly on the Analysis page for Amazon RDS and Azure Managed Instance servers

Changes

• SRP-13560 Redesign list of affected instances for machine alerts

Chris Lambrou
  • AzizAziz Posts: 9 New member
    edited February 11, 2021 10:52AM

Version 11.0.17 has been released

Direct download link

Major changes

SQL Code Analysis integration for top queries:
    • See all issues affecting a query in one place,
    • Raises issues relating to best practicesperformance, and deprecations,
    • Provides guidance on the effect of each issue, and what you can do to resolve it.

Installed the version 11.0.17
    getting tons of error in SQL Server logs
    Invalid object name '##redgate_sqlmonitor_querywaitstats_isHGwi__Q1ijH1tSYJA1UVK0ya4s'.