Using DLM Automation Powershell cmdlets in CircleCI pipeline

Hi, 

reposting my question in this topic bc in the meantime I got familiar w the forum structure. :)

I'm trying to set up a CircleCI pipeline to deploy an MSSQL database to AWS and I get a System.Security.Cryptography.CryptographicException: Access is denied. error when invoking any of the DLM Automation Powershell cmdlets.
Do you know what can it be? Is it a missing certificate issue or rather an admin privilege issue?
I do not get the error if I run the cmdlet on my office PC, but there I got the full SQL Toolbelt installed.

This is the error:
Register-DlmSerialNumber, DLM Automation 2.1.3.2175, Copyright c Red Gate Software Ltd 2014-2018

Use of this functionality requires a SQL Toolbelt license.
If you are unsure of your current user license entitlement please contact licensing@red-gate.com

Activating serial number XXX-XXX-XXXXXX-XXXX
WARNING: System.Security.Cryptography.CryptographicException: Access is denied.

at System.Security.Cryptography.ProtectedData.Protect(Byte[] userData, Byte[] optionalEntropy, DataProtectionScope 
scope)
   at RedGate.DLMAutomation.Compare.RedgateTools.RedgateToolRunner.GetProtectedEnvironmentVariableValue()
   at RedGate.DLMAutomation.Compare.RedgateTools.RedgateToolRunner.Run(GuardedString commandLineArguments, Action`1 
onStdOut, Action`1 onStdErr, String executablePath)
   at RedGate.DLMAutomation.Compare.RedgateTools.RedgateToolRunner.RunCompare(GuardedString commandLineArguments, 
Action`1 onStdOut, Action`1 onStdErr)
   at RedGate.DLMAutomation.Compare.Compare.LicensingFacade.ActivateSerialNumber(String serialNumber)
   at RedGate.DLMAutomation.PowerShell.Commands.RegisterDlmSerialNumberCommandImpl.Process()
   at RedGate.DLMAutomation.PowerShell.DlmAutomationCommandImpl`1.ProcessRecord()
   at RedGate.PowerShell.CommandBase`2.DelegateTo(Action doImplementation)
Register-DlmSerialNumber : An unhandled error occurred: System.Security.Cryptography.CryptographicException: Access is 
denied.
   at System.Security.Cryptography.ProtectedData.Protect(Byte[] userData, Byte[] optionalEntropy, DataProtectionScope 
scope)
   at RedGate.DLMAutomation.Compare.RedgateTools.RedgateToolRunner.GetProtectedEnvironmentVariableValue()
   at RedGate.DLMAutomation.Compare.RedgateTools.RedgateToolRunner.Run(GuardedString commandLineArguments, Action`1 
onStdOut, Action`1 onStdErr, String executablePath)
   at RedGate.DLMAutomation.Compare.RedgateTools.RedgateToolRunner.RunCompare(GuardedString commandLineArguments, 
Action`1 onStdOut, Action`1 onStdErr)
   at RedGate.DLMAutomation.Compare.Compare.LicensingFacade.ActivateSerialNumber(String serialNumber)
   at RedGate.DLMAutomation.PowerShell.Commands.RegisterDlmSerialNumberCommandImpl.Process()
   at RedGate.DLMAutomation.PowerShell.DlmAutomationCommandImpl`1.ProcessRecord()
   at RedGate.PowerShell.CommandBase`2.DelegateTo(Action doImplementation)
At line:6 char:1
+ Register-DlmSerialNumber -InputObject XXX-XXX-XXXXXX-XXXX
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Register-DlmSerialNumber], CryptographicException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : UnhandledException,RedGate.DLMAutomation.PowerShell.Commands.RegisterDlmSerialNumberComm 
   and

The CircleCI executor is a windows-server-2019-vs2019:stable box.

The Powershell module version is http://psg-prod-eastus.azureedge.net/packages/dlmautomation.2.1.3.2175.nupkg
Tagged:

Answers

• 0x1d0x1d Posts: 4 New member
    I've been looking at this last weekend and I can confirm it's not a certificate thing. I was able to set up a working script with the Powershell cmdlets on a Windows EC2 instance. But when I ran the same script in the CircleCI Windows executor I get the above exceptions. If I run the script with Start-Process powershell.exe -Verb Runas -ArgumentList "-File deploy-db.ps1" I can't capture the logs :(
  • Hi,
    You should be able to run that script without using the Register-DlmSerial number step, just remove it from your script and test again.

Kind Regards,
    Sergio
    Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Please see our Help Center for detailed guides on how to use our tools
  • 0x1d0x1d Posts: 4 New member
    thanks @Sergio R

Unfortunately, the error is thrown at most of the DLM cmdlets, not just the registration step.

It is thrown at Invoke-DlmDatabaseSchemaValidation and also the most important one: Sync-DlmDatabaseSchema.

The only one without error is the 
    New-DlmDatabaseConnection.
  • I have just tested DLM Automation 2.1.3 on a Windows 2019 Azure DevOps Microsoft Hosted agent and it worked correctly, I think that might be caused by something specific to the CircleCI environment
    Sergio
    Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Please see our Help Center for detailed guides on how to use our tools