SCA, Docker, Powershell, and you

Hello all,

Preface by saying not a Redgate product expert by any means. Attempting to support some users in Windows Powershell/Docker scenarios, as they try to build out a Docker container for CI pipelines. I thought installing the SqlChangeAutomation module from powershell gallery would be enough. However, they apparently need:
  1. SqlChangeAutomation (available from gallery)
  2. SQL Change Automation Powershell (different from above? not available in gallery)
  3. SQL Compare (not available in gallery)
Guess the questions I'm asking are two-fold: 
  • Are items 1 and 2 actually different, or is this a misunderstanding on their part?
  • Is there a way to install all of this *not* using the toolbelt? Toolbelt shows a dialog, even if all of the auto-accept settings are passed, and Docker hates it
Any help/direction appreciated.

Thanks
Tagged:

Answers

• I'm pretty sure 1 and 2 are the same!

Do you know what SQL Compare is needed for? It's interesting to us to know what's "missing" from the PowerShell cmdlets.

If absolutely required, would they be able to make use of the DockerHub version?

David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software
  • Thanks for the reply. Checking with them on all of the above. Fairly certain the *nix container is good, as we have win and nix CI runners spun up, but I won't know for sure until I hear back. Also curious on what is "missing" that they think the automation installs are different. I'll let you know!

Thanks,
    Glen