Competition: What’s your favorite Redgate tool? Enter now.

An undocumented change in 'Open in Excel'

Just noticed something that was different...

I love the 'Open in Excel' right click option in SQL Prompt.  I use it regularly to extract some quick results that I need to send to people or include in a document or email. (at lot of times it's lookup table values)
I just noticed something different after upgrading to SQL Prompt 10.3.1 from 10.2.1. 
A SQL query that returns results with bit field in SSMS shows the bit field in the grid as a '0' (for false) or '1' (for true). 




I used SQL Prompt 10.2.1 on Jul 2 and after doing an 'Open in Excel' it showed the bit field in Excel as a 0 or 1.  Pretty standard. 



After upgrading to 10.3.1, now when I use the 'Open in Excel' function the '0' or '1' are converted to the words 'True' or 'False' in the Excel file.


It's a minor issue but it did cause some grief.  I sometimes use some boiler plate Excel templates where I paste the SQL Prompt Excel file results into another work sheet.  These sheets have formulas that look for 0 or 1.  Those formulas stopped working until I fixed them.  I know it's not pretty doing this, but this change just caught me off guard.  I looked in the SQL Prompt options to see if there were any configuration settings for the 'Open in Excel' feature, but I didn't find any.  Maybe something for the future.

I want to reiterate that I love this feature.  It's the best solution I've found for quickly copying some results out to Excel.
The best part is that it just works.  Simple and quick.

(Also as reviewed by Louis Davidson)

Tagged:

Answers

Sign In or Register to comment.