SQL Prompt 10.2.x release causing random code substitutions when code suggestions are enabled

TheoLTheoL Posts: 17 Bronze 1
edited June 10, 2020 10:15PM in SQL Prompt
Since upgrading to SQL Prompt 10.2.0 (and subsequently 10.2.1), I have started having problems in SSMS version 17.9.1.

After a random amount of time (~1 - 30 minutes) I am finding that suddenly starts making random substitutions when I press a non-alpha key. 

First case noted: every time I pressed '@' to type a variable, the current text and subsequent next few characters were replaced by a repeatable string.  
Second case noted was whenever I started typing '(' for a function, a random substitution occurred.

In both cases, some text ahead of the cursor was also replaced. I was altering the query inside a new table-valued function.

To only way I can restore normality is to untick the "enable suggestions" option in the SQL Prompt menu. If I re-enable, it just a matter of time before it starts going haywire again. 

Anyone else seen this problem? For now, I'm trying to disable the "Use ranked suggestions" option which is flagged as a new feature.
Tagged:

Comments

• TheoLTheoL Posts: 17 Bronze 1
    Since there have been no other comments, I guess it's fairly safe to assume that I'm the only one experiencing this. I try again, assuming it's something on my side ....

• Hi @TheoL

That certainly sounds like a weird one. Could you share a reproduction script with us so we can try and find out what's going on?

Thanks,
    Tom
    Software Engineer for SQL Prompt
    Redgate Software
  • CLDSCLDS Posts: 3 New member
    Hello @TomW

This is happening for me now. I've tried updating SSMS (now v18.11.1) and re-installed SQL Prompt (now v10.11.9.27382).

I think that @TheoL has narrowed in on the observations further than I have so far - I think their description matches what I am seeing. The non-alpha key that I've noticed triggering it has been '-' due to me regularly commenting since the time the issue began in the last week, rather than creating variables.

I would love to know if there is a solution, otherwise I will have to stop using SQL Prompt after a trouble free first ~9 months personally. Perhaps a cache or something that can be cleared?

Cheers,
    Scott
  • Hi Scott,

Thank you for reaching out and I apologize that you are running into issues with SQL Prompt.

Is this a new issue that has started occurring? If so, was there any change within SSMS or SQL Prompt that may have caused it?

Thank you!
    David Kim
    Product Support Engineer
    Hello David,

Thank you for getting back. I don't believe that there have been any changes to either.

As I am between pieces of work, I have just tried re-installing SQL Prompt again, this time also deleting the main persistent folder I have seen: C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Red Gate

I will see whether it stays working this time.

Cheers,
    Scott
    It only seemed to work for a matter of hours. Once I left a new comment on a script, the issue came back. I am starting to wonder if it depends on which DB server I am connection to, as this issue didn't come about earlier when I was predominantly working on another DB server connection. It might have become a noticeable issue in recent weeks as I have started using this specific DB connection more. I will have to wait and see whether working on another connection ends up keeping the issue away.
  • Hi there,

Thank you for the update.

We have not been able to replicate this issue on our end and it would be quite difficult to without a reproduction script/schema.

You can refresh suggestions, either with the menu option or CTRL+SHIFT+D, which may help.

Sincerely,
    David Kim
    Product Support Engineer