Options

Upgrade from SQL Compare 5 to SQL Compare 14

RonnDechRonnDech Posts: 2 New member
Wondering if anyone would know of any problems upgrading from a really old version 5 to the latest version. Will the scripts seamlessly update, or am I likely to lose something from my old compare jobs? Also wondering what the process would be to export those compare jobs from the current install (which is on an older PC that we want to retire) and import them into a new install of 14 on a more recent PC.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
Tagged:

Answers

• Options
    Alex BAlex B Posts: 1,132 Diamond 4
    Hi @RonnDech,

I'm not quite sure I follow - SQL Compare doesn't store scripts or have jobs (at least not in the more recent versions - I've not used v5).  Can you go into more detail on what you mean here and/or send a screenshot?

Also, if the old machine meets the installation requirements (https://documentation.red-gate.com/sc/getting-started/requirements), you can install version 14 side by side and see if it picks up what you mean (probably good to make a copy and use that).

Kind regards,
    Alex
    Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software

Have you visited our Help Center?
  • Options
    RonnDechRonnDech Posts: 2 New member
    Bad terminology on my part, I meant the Comparison Projects themselves: 

The existing computer that runs SQL Compare has been having issues with the hard drive, so we're looking to offload all applications to a virtual machine on another server. I need to know that when I install the latest version of the software (which I need to upgrade since we also just upgraded to new SQL Servers and SQL Compare 5 can't execute comparisons against them any more, which is a known issue) I can move over these Comparison Projects rather than have to re-create them from scratch.
  • Options
    Alex BAlex B Posts: 1,132 Diamond 4
    Hi @RonnDech,

Ah, that makes more sense!

As far as I'm aware, SQL Compare should upgrade the project files - you should be able to find where they are stored on your computer (should be a .scp file still) and then install SQL Compare 14 on the other machine and try to open it there to confirm. 

I only received the last image showing the My projects screen and I'm not sure it will move the list of projects shown in this screen over, but once you open a project in the latest version it should appear in the same screen in that version.

Kind regards,
    Alex
    Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software

Have you visited our Help Center?