Report Generation

Before committing changes to source control, I'd like to produce a report of the pending updates.  Is there a report built in?
Tagged:

Answers

• @RL1767 Nothing built into SQL Source Control, although isn't version control itself what is keeping this very information? What version control system are you using?

David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software
  • RL1767RL1767 Posts: 3 New member
    It is stored in source control, and there is a view history option.  However, the view does not give me a detailed report where I can view the changes exactly as they appear in the source control application itself. I thought it would be helpful if I could remind my developers of the changes they were making before I commit. I do the same for schema compare when I'm about to move changes from development to production.
    Verison is 7.1.12.10363
  • @RL1767 - I'm not sure I understand. What would be in this report that isn't already in the list of changes in the commit tab prior to clicking on the commit button? The button is on the same screen so shouldn't the developers have all the information they need?

David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software
  • RL1767RL1767 Posts: 3 New member
     The source control tab in SSMS is perfect. I was hoping for the ability to export it as a report. The developers do not have access to source control for these databases. I thought it would be helpful to tell them exactly what was being committed, similar to the report I give them before I sync schema changes to production. That being said, it's not critical, and it's probably overkill. Thank you for your time. I'm still very happy with RedGate's SQL source control. 
  • @RL1767 - Glad that you like the tool. For the vast majority of our customers each developer will be using the tool. A single person is committing changes on behalf of developers is a bit of a versioning antipattern as it means that the audit log doesn't reflect who made the change. Also, it means that developers don't benefit from being able to access the history of changes.
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software