Options

SQL Packager and Incremental Updates?

dm4714dm4714 Posts: 28
I plan on using SQL Packager as a database update tool for my VB6 project. As a result, I would like to initially have it setup to create a default database that has a few tables and some initial data. As users use the application, they will modify the data, in addition to adding their own data.

If I later have an update and wish to send out an update package that also contains new data, can I simply package this into the EXE? Will it overwrite the existing data that is in the customer's table?

I'm thinking about keeping incremental updates to SQL Packager similar to how phpBB has database updates.

I.E.,

This will be run for any new installation:

SQLFullv100 - full database setup v1.00
SQLFullv101 - full database setup v1.01
SQLFullv102 - full database setup v1.02
SQLFullv200 - full database setup v2.00

These will be run for updates to an existing installation:

SQLUpdatev100to200 - updates from v1.00 to latest v2.00
SQLUpdatev101to200 - updates from v1.01 to latest v2.00
SQLUpdatev102to200 - updates from v1.02 to latest v2.00

Does this make sense?

Is there any way I can control which one gets launched when my application is installed versus having the end-user know which one they need to run?

Opinions?

Comments

• Options
    Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hello,

We had a similar problem with a product that we used to have on the market which had a SQL back-end. We had solved it by creating a version table in the database. This table had only one column: current database version. Then we could use ADO to select from this table and run the proper update based on the current database version.
This discussion has been closed.