Options

Table / Column name change

unit107unit107 Posts: 3
edited January 26, 2010 12:37PM in SQL Compare Previous Versions
I have the case where I need to make a table / column name changes. Is there a way to map tables / columns between differing databases so the Compare will know to perform the rename without disturbing the data?

Comments

• Options
    Anyone?

To put it another way, is there a way for Red Gate Compare to recognize a table name change? I want to map table Y (formerly table X) in a development database to table X in production so that it will make the changes when I sycronize. Is it possible?
  • Options
    I'm afraid there is currently no method to map tables or columns. However, this feature has been requested several times before, so I've added this post to the relevant bug report (SC-1933). Thanks for the request!
  • Options
    I am creating a new table (TABLEY) which is derived from TABLEX and I would periodically like to compare the differences as I am developing.
    So, from what I am hearing, there is no way to compare TABLEX to TABLEY in the same database? Is that correct?
  • Options
    Yes, that is right. It is not possible to compare objects that have different names in SQL Compare (although you can do this in SQL Data Compare). We hope to add this feature in a future release.

Kind regards,

David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Red Gate Software
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software
  • Options
    Is there any update on this? When a table is renamed there is a lot of manual intervention involved to get the synchronization correct.

Thanks,
    Brian
  • Options
    Sorry, we haven't developed this feature yet as it's non-trivial to implement. Our suggested workaround is to use SQL Refactor to rename the other table so they match up in SQL Compare.

David Atkinson
    Red Gate Software
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software