How do you use cloud databases? Take the survey.
Options

Time change blocking SQL Monitor Logging

SQL Monitor 9.2.8.24491 (Web and Base)

I have seen this twice now... I log in to SQL Monitor to discover that has not been logging anything for the last 8 hours.  I check the event viewer on the server running SQL Monitor and I see a Windows System Event:

The system time has changed to ‎2019‎-‎12‎-‎17T10:44:07.900172800Z from ‎2019‎-‎12‎-‎17T10:44:07.899252400Z.
Change Reason: An application or system component changed the time.

And then 2 seconds later I see (5) Redgate Software Events (I am monitoring 5 different databases - so assuming one event for each).  

I restart the SQLMonitor service and I am logging data again - but missing the 8 hours of data forever.

Full error message:
2019-12-17 10:44:08,178 [112] ERROR RedGate.SqlMonitor.Common.Utilities.ThreadPools.ErrorReportingThreadPool [(null)] - Unhandled exception in thread pool
System.InvalidOperationException: Attempted to queue a change of state for 00:00:04.7402391 earlier than the most recent change

at RedGate.SqlMonitor.Common.Utilities.StateMachines.StateMachine`1.TryQueueChangeState(TState nextState, DateTime transitionDate)
   at RedGate.SqlMonitor.Common.Utilities.StateMachines.StateMachine`1.TryChangeState(IEnumerable`1 nextStates, DateTime& transitionDate)
   at RedGate.SqlMonitor.Common.Utilities.Scheduling.JobRunner.RunAndReschedule(JobRescheduleEvent jobRescheduleEvent)
   at RedGate.SqlMonitor.Common.Utilities.ThreadPools.PrioritizedThreadPool.ExecuteHighestPriorityUserWorkItem(ThreadPriority originalPriority)
   at RedGate.SqlMonitor.Common.Utilities.ThreadPools.ErrorReportingThreadPool.<>c__DisplayClass6_0.<QueueUserWorkItem>b__0(Object <p0>)System.InvalidOperationException: Attempted to queue a change of state for 00:00:04.7402391 earlier than the most recent change

at RedGate.SqlMonitor.Common.Utilities.StateMachines.StateMachine`1.TryQueueChangeState(TState nextState, DateTime transitionDate)
   at RedGate.SqlMonitor.Common.Utilities.StateMachines.StateMachine`1.TryChangeState(IEnumerable`1 nextStates, DateTime& transitionDate)
   at RedGate.SqlMonitor.Common.Utilities.Scheduling.JobRunner.RunAndReschedule(JobRescheduleEvent jobRescheduleEvent)
   at RedGate.SqlMonitor.Common.Utilities.ThreadPools.PrioritizedThreadPool.ExecuteHighestPriorityUserWorkItem(ThreadPriority originalPriority)
   at RedGate.SqlMonitor.Common.Utilities.ThreadPools.ErrorReportingThreadPool.<>c__DisplayClass6_0.<QueueUserWorkItem>b__0(Object <p0>)

Tagged:

Answers

• Options
    Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    Hi, thank you for your forum post.

Are there any alerts or errors around the time the reported problem first occurs that indicate a 'Clock Skew' error?

A support ticket has been created for you.   Would it be possible for you to locate the SQL Monitor Log Files (To download the log files go to Configuration, and under Diagnostics, click Retrieve log files) and attach them to an update to the ticket created for you.  

Many thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com