Options

Having trouble comparing partitioned DBs

Hi folks,

we get the following error when trying to compare SQL server partitioned DB with source control GIT (we didn't have such problem in case of SVN). Please advise if there is a way to avoid this error or if this is a bug?

Thanks 

Answers

• Options

We've been battling with Partition Schemes / Functions and how to deal with them for some time! We've seen this error at times (most recently when a development database was moved to a new server and connected back to the same Git repo!) and come across other issues when deploying them too. We've tried excluding them with the relevant ignore option and excluding them with a filter but always come up against a problem at some point

What we're currently doing (just started yesterday so not sure it addresses all our issues yet):

• create a new Git repo;
    • add a Pre-Deployment script with create statements (within existence checks) for all Partition Schemes / Functions;
    • add Partition Schemes / Functions and tables which use them to the Git repo;
    • specifically exclude Partition Schemes / Functions from our Azure DevOps Build and Releases using the ifg SQL Compare option.

This means the Partition Schemes / Functions will be created once on every database we deploy to but also covers the issue we see of that "not found" message.

• Options
    PivoBispoPivoBispo Posts: 2 New member
    I'm having the same problem as I'm trying to source control my development databases with git. 

I have two databases that are linked to the same repository with different branches. The first one that I linked seems to be working fine as I was testing out. But when I've added the second database, linked to the same repo but on another branch, these errors started to appear.

These databases doesn't share the same partition structure, as I needed more data partitions on one of the development database to test a particular feature.

Is this environment not supported by this tool?
  • Options
    yegdavyegdav Posts: 2 New member
    PivoBispo said:

I hope red-gate team will answer soon this question.
  • Options
    PivoBispoPivoBispo Posts: 2 New member
    PivoBispo said:
    I'm having the same problem as I'm trying to source control my development databases with git. 

I have two databases that are linked to the same repository with different branches. The first one that I linked seems to be working fine as I was testing out. But when I've added the second database, linked to the same repo but on another branch, these errors started to appear.

These databases doesn't share the same partition structure, as I needed more data partitions on one of the development database to test a particular feature.

I'm using:
    SQL Source Control version 7.1.2.10022
    SQL Server Management Studio version 17.9.1
    DB SQL Server 2012 SP4