At my company, software installation is controlled by the 'DeskTop Central' package.
Which means, we are not free to just install or update software as we wish.
Reproduction steps for the problem I ran into
- Have a working SQL server 2017 installed
- Use 'DesktopCentral' to install Toolbelt Updater 10-06-2019
- Use 'DesktopCentral' to install SQLPrompt 10.0.1.12389
- Be very happy for a while
- Now install SQL server 2019
- This means I need to (re)run the install(ers), because SQL search is not registered for 2019
- I Re-run the installer (using 'DesktopCentral'),
It says 'SQL search already installed', I can not deselect it.
- 'DesktopCentral' does not provide way to deinstall the software.
- I can not manually de-Install the software because I need to be administrator.
- I can not 'continue' with the installerWithout added new components, none of which I need.
- Continue WITH new component, does not register SQL search for 2019
- Manually triggering the updater does not work, because this requires elevation
End result, I can not (conveniently/easily) register SQL search for SQL 2019
in the installer application, provide a way to re-trigger the registration process for 'already installed' components.. This would work in my situation, because the Installer IS run with elevated permission.