Options

Visual Studio Integration - Calls to Linked Servers

My development team is using Redgates SQL Source Control tool with Visual Studio database projects.  One enhancement that would be huge for my team is better handling of calls to external databases.  

In visual studio, you can add database references to a database project in eliminate build errors from calls to SQL objects in another database.  Visual Studio then allows you to use your database references by prefixing the "$" sign to the reference alias.  This works great.

The problem is, when you push this to your repository, the $ notation is included instead of the name of the linked server.  This causes execution errors when you end up with something that looks like this in your calling object

Example:
Select *
FROM $([My_Database_Reference]).[My_Schema_Name].[My_Object_Name]

Would it be possible for redgate to somehow remove the $ notation and replace it with the actual name of the external database?
Tagged:

Answers

• Options
    Hi,

The best place for this post would be our UserVoice Forum for SQL Source Control.
    The User Voice forum is the place to submit feature requests for Redgate products. The more votes and comments a topic receives will increase the chances of it being included in a future version of the product. The Product Managers and Development Team actively monitor the User Voice forums.

You can then commit and vote on on your feature request.

Kind regards,
    Mac Frierson | Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software
    Have you visited our Help Center?