SQL Change Automation not showing up in SSMS 2014 and not working in SSMS v 18.3

teetee Posts: 25 New member
edited October 4, 2019 12:42AM in SQL Change Automation
=======================================UPDATE===========================================
This issue was resolved by uninstalled SSMS v. 18.3 and installing v 18.2 instead.
=========================================================================================
I uninstalled all of the toolbelt products and re-installed from the latest toolbelt, rebooted after uninstall and after install. SQL Change Automation is available in SSMS v 18.3 but does not work. It will neither create a project nor open an existing project. I created a test project in VS 2017 with SQL Change Automation 4.0 but the SSMS - Sql Change Automation project tool cannot open the project. SQL Change Automation also does not detect the SQL servers. I typed the server name and database name (correctly) since the drop-down doesn't populate. Maybe this is the problem?? - do you have any suggestions?  
Below is the error message - I chose to send the error message to RedGate, but with no feedback, I'm not sure it was actually sent.

=========================================================================================
=================================error message below========================================
System.Net.Http.HttpRequestException: An error occurred while sending the request. ---> System.Net.WebException: The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a send. ---> System.IO.IOException: Authentication failed because the remote party has closed the transport stream.
   at System.Net.TlsStream.EndWrite(IAsyncResult asyncResult)
   at System.Net.PooledStream.EndWrite(IAsyncResult asyncResult)
   at System.Net.ConnectStream.WriteHeadersCallback(IAsyncResult ar)
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.EndGetRequestStream(IAsyncResult asyncResult, TransportContext& context)
   at System.Net.Http.HttpClientHandler.GetRequestStreamCallback(IAsyncResult ar)
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
   at RedGate.Versioning.Client.WebServer.Client.Services.HttpCommunication.HttpClientInvoker.<PostResponse>d__4.MoveNext()
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
   at RedGate.Versioning.Client.WebServer.Client.Services.WebServerCommunication.SimpleWebServerInvoker.<Post>d__6`1.MoveNext()
   at RedGate.Versioning.Client.VsShell.Ssms.Models.Projects.RecentProjectsService.<Open>d__7.MoveNext()
   at RedGate.Versioning.Client.VsShell.Ssms.Models.Homepage.HomepageModel.<SaveRecentProject>d__11.MoveNext()
   at RedGate.Versioning.Client.VsShell.Ssms.Models.Observable.ObservableTask`1.<WaitForTask>d__9.MoveNext()
Tagged:

Answers

• I'm afraid we can't actively monitor error reports - and without knowing the email address you submitted it with it will be hard to find.
    The error suggests something environmental as its a system error rather than an SCA one. The drop down not populating might indicate a network issue as well - is it a remote server? Or local to you?
    Have you visited our Help Centre?
  • teetee Posts: 25 New member
    Update:  In answer to your question, the error occurred with any database, local or network/remote - unable to create a project, or open a project. Resolve: I uninstalled SQL Server Management Studio 18.3.1 and installed SQL Server Management Studio 18.2 and SCA seems to working properly in that previous version. 
  • Ok well, glad you got it sorted even if it meant rolling back ssms. If you do upgrade again and have issues let us know.
    Have you visited our Help Centre?