Options

Insert Semicolon Issue with CTEs

SQL Prompt's "Insert semicolon" function behaves weirdly when a CTE is a the start of a control loop.  For example, if I have this code:
<div>IF (1=1) BEGIN</div><div>&nbsp; WITH numbers AS (</div><div>&nbsp; &nbsp; SELECT 1 AS num</div><div>&nbsp; &nbsp; UNION SELECT 2</div><div>&nbsp; &nbsp; UNION SELECT 3</div><div>&nbsp; &nbsp; UNION SELECT 4</div><div>&nbsp; )</div><div>&nbsp; SELECT * FROM numbers</div><div>END;</div>

SQL Prompt will format it as 
<div>IF (1=1) BEGIN;</div><div>&nbsp; WITH numbers AS (</div><div>&nbsp; &nbsp; SELECT 1 AS num</div><div>&nbsp; &nbsp; UNION SELECT 2</div><div>&nbsp; &nbsp; UNION SELECT 3</div><div>&nbsp; &nbsp; UNION SELECT 4</div><div>&nbsp; )</div><div>&nbsp; SELECT * FROM numbers;</div><div>END;</div>

While the code runs, I think the semicolon after "BEGIN" makes very little sense.   First, the beginning of a control loop generally isn't terminated with a semicolon – just the end.  Second, the code without the semicolon after "Begin" runs just fine, since the "IF..." statement doesn't count towards the "last line must end in a semicolon" rule.

This actually matters to me because I tend to use straight "Begin/End" pairs to denote code regions.  So I will have code such as:
BEGIN -- Do Something<br><some sql><br>END;<br><br>BEGIN -- Do something else<br><more sql><br>END;

So the semicolon after "begin" throws everything off when I collapse everything and just draws attention to its goofiness.  Also, I sometimes just get outright errors when I try to format the code and then have to insert the unnecessary semis myself.  So I end up doing stuff like
<div>IF (1=1) BEGIN<br>&nbsp; ;<br></div><div>&nbsp; WITH numbers AS (</div><div>&nbsp; &nbsp; SELECT 1 AS num</div><div>&nbsp; &nbsp; UNION SELECT 2</div><div>&nbsp; &nbsp; UNION SELECT 3</div><div>&nbsp; &nbsp; UNION SELECT 4</div><div>&nbsp; )</div><div>&nbsp; SELECT * FROM numbers;</div><div>END;</div>

This works, but is there a better way?
Tagged:

Answers