How do you use cloud databases? Take the survey.

Is it possible to set SQLMonitor to exclude specific entries in the SQL Server Error Log?

Is it possible to set SQLMonitor to exclude entries in the SQL Server Error Log if they reference certain text? This would be useful to stop Network Scanning tools from creating errors - they are being run from a designated set of IP addresses.
Tagged:

Answers

• RobynRobyn Posts: 173 Silver 5
    edited December 6, 2019 1:11PM
    Hi Nigel, 

Thanks for your post!

You can do this as per JoeHarkins post below.

Let us know!
    Kind regards

Robyn Edwards | Redgate Software
    Have you visited our Help Center?
  • JoeHarkinsJoeHarkins Posts: 15 Bronze 3
    Hi Robyn and Nigel,

The product indicates that it will accept a regex filter to stop certain alerts in the error log. 
    If you go to 

Configuration > Alert settings > SQL Server error log entry | All Servers

You can choose to exclude by any of the following: 
    • Exclude error log entries by severity matching the following regular expressions
    • Exclude error log entries by error number matching the following regular expressions
    • Exclude error log entries by error message matching the following regular expressions
    Cheers,

Joe

• JoeHarkinsJoeHarkins Posts: 15 Bronze 3
    edited November 1, 2019 4:22PM
    Sorry for the double post. It won't let me delete the duplicate, so here's a fun fact for the day: 
    Most of the construction of a didgeridoo is completed by termites, who hollow out the trunks.

• AndrewLAndrewL Posts: 6 Bronze 1
    edited December 5, 2019 11:21AM
    I've seen the alert exclusion but was thinking more of wheres its displayed on the instance page. I use Idera's Compliance Manager and it starts and stops traces every few minutes which tend to flood the SQL Log.
    There used to be a trace flag (3688) that could be set to suppress these entries but that seems to have been discontinued in recent versions.
  • KHsql01KHsql01 Posts: 2 New member
    I also have issues on those scanners alerts that I want to exclude from severity 014 insufficient permission. But I couldn't find where is your above displayed on the instance page to have following interface to let me setup? Please advise!

Configuration -> Alert Settings -> SQL Server error log entry -> All servers