Options

SQL Source Control cannot find git

Hi folks,

Using a Win2012 R2 dev jumpbox for a client. It has a local instance of SQL2016 with all my dev databases. This jumpbox has been working perfectly fine for over a month, until today.

Since this morning, SQL Source Control (SoC) is telling me that Git isn't installed.

I double checked my PATH variable and ensured git was added as instructed here:

And just to double check, I ran git from the cmd:

It all seems to work fine from the cmd prompt?

First saw this bug in SoC 7.0.6. Ran check for updates. Upgraded to 7.0.31. Rebooted. Same behavior.

I'm reverting to using SQL Compare to update files and using git command line to commit and push them, but that's clunky and frustrating.

Any advice you may have would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Alex Yates
DevOps Mentor and Coach

Director of DLM Consultants
Creator of Speaking Mentors
Microsoft Data Platform MVP
Friend of Redgate
Twitter / LinkedIn

Answers

• Options
    AlexYatesAlexYates Posts: 264 Rose Gold 2
    edited August 19, 2019 10:40AM
    Actually, I've just solved my own problem. I'm embarrassed to admit that it was user error.

I forgot that we'd restructured the directory tree in the git repo. I had forgotton to unlink and relink the repo with the new path to the source control directory.

So if anyone else sees this behaviour, check the path you are linking to is correct.

That said, the error message was a little misleading. It sent me down a rabbit hole checking my git config. An error message stating that the path specified doesn't exist would have more helpful.

Keep up the good work folks!
    Alex Yates
    DevOps Mentor and Coach

Director of DLM Consultants
    Creator of Speaking Mentors
    Microsoft Data Platform MVP
    Friend of Redgate
    Twitter / LinkedIn
  • Options
    SteveMplsSteveMpls Posts: 2 New member
    A little misleading? How about a ton?