SQL Data Compare at command line not returning anything after displaying "Comparing Databases"

Hi
We are using SQL Data Compare 13 and generally have no issues with it however today we are looking to script a compare of a single table to happen daily, overnight to assist with a UAT project.
I have a relatively simple command line which looks as below:

sqldatacompare /Server1:aa\bb /Server2:xx\zz /db1:mydb /db2:mydb /Include:table:[mytable]

My command line window gets down to displaying "Comparing databases" and just sits there.  I've tried tables with many records right down to one record but all do the same and do not go past the point in question (I've only waited about 2 hours, I think this is more than enough).

Can you provide any indication as to whether I have the command line wrong or if there is anything I else I should be considering?

Many thanks

Craig
Tagged:

Best Answer

• Alex BAlex B Posts: 1,131 Diamond 4
    Hi @CAMillar,

Two hours should be enough for a table with one record in it. 

The one thing I can see that might cause an issue is the regular expression you have for the /Include statement - /Include is 

/Include:<object type>:<regular expression>

The expression [mytable] will look for any table that is a single one of any one of those letters.  You would want to escape the square brackets \[mytable\] to look for e.g. [Table_1].

If that doesn't help, can you please add the /Verbose switch which will provide more information in the command line window and also add the /LogLevel:Verbose switch which will create a log file using the verbose logging level. 

The log file will be created in the default log directory %LocalAppData%\Red Gate\Logs\SQL Data Compare

If they don't show anything obvious to you then I can reach out via a support ticket to retrieve them and have a look.

Kind regards,
    Alex
    Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software

Have you visited our Help Center?

Answers