Options

Unable to create images of a DB over 1.8TB through the GUI ?

Hi All,

We have a single DB that it now just shy of 2TB.
It backs up to a network share with a FULL backup on a Saturday and then daily Differentials. 

When I try to create an image of the database using either the FULL backup on its own OR a striped FULL & DIFF combination, SQL Clone fails with a generic error.

I get the same response when trying this through the powershell cmdlets.

As the DB is a production system it's not feasible to try and take a clone from the live DB.

If I copy the backup files to the same network location as to where the Image will be stored (there are two separate shares but on the same filer on the same VLAN), the image generation works fine.

The process works fine on smaller DB's (anything from a few GB to about 800GB) without any problems.

I've just also upgraded to the latest build (we were running 3.1.1) to be safe but no change.

Any thoughts as to why this could be ?
Tagged:

Answers

• Options
    Hi newbieDBA,

1.8 TB is the rough threshold where Clone switches from using one image format (one that's backwards-compatible with older versions of Windows, e.g. Windows 7 and Server 2008 R2) to a newer format that only works on more modern versions of Windows. It sounds your installation of Clone is having issues creating images in the newer format.

We'll probably need to have a look at your Clone logs to sort things out. The best option is to get in touch with support@red-gate.com, who are best equipped to get this solved - they'll track the issue and solve it with the dev team.
    Software Engineer
    Redgate Software