How do you use cloud databases? Take the survey.

Different query plan shows in redgate sql monitor vs db cache plan

AsafCAsafC Posts: 3 Bronze 1
edited July 8, 2019 9:18AM in Redgate Monitor
*Related to SQL Server 2016

Hi,
I have a case which redgate db monitor shows plan which differ than db cache plan for specific SP.
The sequence of events are:
1. DB cache plan for this SP created at 2019-06-16 17:54 (first screenshot)
2. SP bad performance detected on 2019-07-01, when looking at redgate sql monitor top queries, and clicked on the query (SP), the query plan that was displayed was created at  2019-06-16 17:54 (which match what db shows in cache plan) but the plan itself is very different than the cache plan (second screenshot )
3. * I'm logging with sp_whoisactive the activity in the server, and it shows that for the bad performance call from 2019-07-01 the plan was NULL (third screenshot)

I will very appreciate clarification on this strange case.

Thank you
Asaf

Tagged:

Answers

• Alex BAlex B Posts: 1,131 Diamond 4
    Hi @AsafC,

Hmm, this may be a symptom of a fix we put in place for another issue.  I'm going to double check with the team and see if that is possibly the case and will update here when I have more information.

Kind regards,
    Alex
    Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software

Have you visited our Help Center?
  • Alex BAlex B Posts: 1,131 Diamond 4
    Hi @AsafC,

Apologies for the delay in coming back to you here.

I just wanted to say that it does seem like this is related to the other fix as I mentioned previously.  Unfortunately the team doesn't have capacity this year to delver further into this issue which has been backlogged.

The issue is still in our system and I have left a note to update here at such time as the issue is worked on.

Kind regards,
    Alex
    Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software

Have you visited our Help Center?
  • AsafCAsafC Posts: 3 Bronze 1
    Hi @Alex B
    Thanks for the update.