ReadyRoll Migrations step is showing "---- Skipping ....." where is this coming from?

iLyaLiLyaL Posts: 2 New member
edited June 20, 2019 3:50PM in SQL Change Automation
In Azure DevOps, the "Deploy ReadyRoll Migrations" step is showing log entries that start with "------ Skipping .....".
Looking through the SQL script that is in the nuget package, there is nothing that has these messages in it.
Where are these message coming from?
The reason for the question is we are trying to figure out a performance issue related to our database deployments taking 1+ hours but its not apparent if the process that is executed by Azure DevOps is doing something different from the actual SQL script that that is produced?

Answers

• Hi iLyaL,

Thank you for your question regarding SQL Change Automation. May I ask if the "------ Skipping..." portion of the logs looks like this?:

If so, this is a result of added logging that was included in the release of SQL Change Automation migrations (Ready Roll). 

The log shows that these 'Skipping' migration scripts are checked, but not needed or included in the that specific transaction of the build/release.

If you would like to send us the full log, and attach it to a support ticket, we would be glad to take a look and try to find out where the delay happens.

Please let us know if this helps.

Kind regards,

Mac Frierson | Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software
    Have you visited our Help Center?

• iLyaLiLyaL Posts: 2 New member
    Yes, the screenshot is exactly what I was referring to but what I wanted to find out is where/how is that message being generated because we are invoking the sqlcmd.exe command directly and pointing it to the generated SCA built SQL script and when I look at that SQL script, there is not a single line that contains that "----- Skipping...." statement which makes me wonder how this is actually implemented and working.

Regarding the performance/latency, we are finding that if we switch to using private agent that is in the same exact region as the SQL database, the deployment time improve significantly but that also means that we would need to build out dedicated infrastructure to improve our db deployments and I would like to avoid that if possible.
  • Hi iLyaL,

For the first part of your question, the scripts are listed and ordered in the ‘sqlproj’ file that's at the root of the project.

For the second part, I was going to recommend using the patch script approach instead of the package script to improve performance.

https://documentation.red-gate.com/rr1/key-concepts/deployment-scripts

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Mac Frierson | Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software
    Have you visited our Help Center?