"The path is not of a legal form" after obfuscating using SA 7

AOFAOF Posts: 1 New member
Hello all,

My non-obfuscated applications has different DLLs, and some of them execute statements similar to the ones below

_localPath = Path.GetDirectoryName(Assembly.GetExecutingAssembly().Location);
_location = Path.Combine(_localPath, SyncLogFolder);

where SyncLogFolder is a static readonly string.

The resulting obfuscated assembly embeds different DLLs, and when it executes I get the following error:

The path is not of a legal form.
   at System.IO.Path.LegacyNormalizePath(String path, Boolean fullCheck, Int32 maxPathLength, Boolean expandShortPaths)
   at System.IO.Path.NormalizePath(String path, Boolean fullCheck, Int32 maxPathLength, Boolean expandShortPaths)
   at System.IO.Path.InternalGetDirectoryName(String path)
   at GreenlineDataSync.GLDataSync..ctor(SyncType sType, ManualResetEvent exitEvent)
   at GLService.RunThread.(SyncType , SyncOrigin )
   at GLService.RunThread.()

Has anybody seen this error with SA 7? What is the fix? In once instance I moved the Path.* statements around and that fixed the error, but in this case I cannot move the code w/o major refactoring.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Armando

Tagged:

Answers

• Jessica RJessica R Posts: 1,319 Rose Gold 4
    Hi Armando!

It looks like you have a support ticket open with my colleague Alex, so I'm just copying over the details here:

The problem there is that if the method calling Path.GetDirectoryName(Assembly.GetExecutingAssembly().Location)​ is inside one of the embedded assemblies, then Assembly.GetExecutingAssembly().Location will return an empty string (because the embedded assembly is loaded from memory).

This should be fixed by using Assembly.GetExecutingAssembly().CodeBase or Assembly.GetEntryAssembly().Location​ - or not embedding the dependency.

Can you please give this a try?

Jessica Ramos | Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software

Have you visited our Help Center?